Coopers canadian blonde with citra and mango advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnstod

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to brewing here just finished my first batch which was a coopers lager, it's bottled up and at about 4% which is a but low to my liking. My local brew shop has the Canadian blonde on offer right now so I have picked a can of that up but have read that it is quite weak tasting so I am going to experiment slightly this time, I dont want to do too much at this time and try and keep it simple as possible. I quite like the sound of a mango beer so want to incorporate that. So I am thinking about doing the below, any tips or if I should be doing something else let me know. Thanks

1.7kg coopers canadian blonde

1kg brewers sugar

500g maltodextrin

Once that has hit fg

Dry hop 50g citra and 1kg of mango for 3 days

Still quite simple but will have raised the abv to 5.5ish but I'm not sure if citra is the right hop to go for here when mixing with the mango.

Also I am planning on getting us-05 yeast at 11.5g will I need to add some of the coopers stuff still when I've upped the fermentables?

My local brew shop has the Canadian blonde on offer right now so I have picked a can of that up but have read that it is quite weak tasting so I am going to experiment slightly this time, I dont want to do too much at this time and try and keep it simple as possible.

The Canadian Blonde basically tastes like a slighty more bitter version of the Original Lager. They claim that it has some aroma hops, but I honestly can't tell. If you're looking for more malt flavour, you could always add some dry malt extract. I haven't done fruit beers, so I can't really comment on the mango. The US-05 will be enough to ferment it.

I regularly use the coopers blond for beers on rotation and would advise you doing either 500g malt (pils or light) and 500g sugar or 1kg malt and 500g sugar.

As for aroma, there is very very little naturally there (think lager with a slight aroma of pale ale). The greatest thing about the blond is that it is the quintessential blank canvas.

As for the mango, it will taste like mango with a nice tropical citrus aroma to it.

Back