Converting Fridge for fermenting/lagering but save the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Hi!

I just picked up a cheap top/bottom fridge freezer off CL, and also just ordered myself a STC-1000 to keep the temp where I want it. I was going to use this fridge for general storage when not fermenting as well as lager in it.

Sadly I also promised my wife the freezer.

Now as I cruise the forums and DIY's I realize that though it is a temp controller, It actually only controls the temp but turning off the fridge/freezer and turning on a heating element. I was under the impression it is possible to actually install it to the thermostat of the fridge itself while still leaving the freezer in tact.

I understand that they share a compressor, but is it possible to control the damper that lets the cool down from the freezer and turn the freezer to its warmest setting?

If I cannot i think I would save the full size, give the lady the freezer and put bottles and soon to be kegs(also washed yeast, ingredients etc) in this one and get me a mini to make my fermenting chamber.

Anyone know offhand what size mini fridge(cubic ft wise) would work best for carboys/6gallon pales so I dont miss shoot as I shop around CL?

Thanks in advance!

I have a smaller magic chef. 3.7 I think!!! it is 15-7/8 x 18 wide x 31 tall. thats the box size. I added a wood front out of 1x6 pine to extend it. I have to say I am pleased for the money i spent on it. 10.00

Heres my options with it.

1- ferment a single 6.5 carboy with plenty of unused space
2- I just got a 15 gallon carboy from lhbs for free and it fits, but airlock will have to be manipulated,
3- 2 corny kegs fit easily
4- 1 corny keg and one 6.5 gallon fermentor(tight fit, but it does)

I am currently fermenting an ale 6.5 gallon bucket and have a corny with my last batch. I have temp set at 65 so its not the best serving temp, but beats 80 degree and fluctuations. If I can upload a pic I will.

poor picture quality the light in the shed isnt the best

3.7 kegerator.jpg

My co2 tank is on the outside! its a big 20# er so I just drilled a hole thru the wood! This is my last 5 gallon batch for a while. Im gona give the 15 gallon a try, will be doing mostly bottling so I can use the temp controlled unit for fermenting/cold crashing. That takes priority right now since spce is limited and quality is at the forefront.

I have a smaller magic chef...I added a wood front out of 1x6 pine to extend it
Oh, perfect! I wondered how to fit a fermenting bucket in one of those smaller fridges. A little wood and some rigid foam and it is good to go!

Our basement stays at 63F to 70F, not quite cool enough for lager. I have not been lucky enough to find a really cheap unit on CL. Still looking.

you can use your STC 1000 to control some heat wrap or a brew belt. that plus a few blankets wrapped around the fermenter should allow you to ferment at ale temps in a cooler fridge. that way you retain full fridge/freezer functionality and get control over your ferm temps

Back