Converting a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angle grinder with a cutting wheel works best. If you use a torch, you get bits of metal on the bottom and sides of your keg, where the molten steel sprayed. You will also have quite a cleanup job after the torch, smoothing out the cut.

Google it.....several links here:

brewrats.com

Bodensatz

brewery.org

I had someone plasma cut the top off mine. When I got it back, I was surprised how messy the cut was. I ended up buying an angle grinder just to clean it up. Next time I plan to do the entire thing with the angle grinder. If you take the appropriate safety precautions, its not bad at all...it just may take some time. Good luck!

quick comment -NEVER- bring a torch to a totally sealed container such as a keg with out first creating some way for hot gasses to espace - or you'll be pointing your torch at a bomb. not exactly what i'd want to do.

easy way to remedy this is to just drill a hole or two in the top that you're about to cut off - just don't go gunk-ho without knowin what you're getting yourself into!

kneemoe said:
quick comment -NEVER- bring a torch to a totally sealed container such as a keg with out first creating some way for hot gasses to espace - or you'll be pointing your torch at a bomb. not exactly what i'd want to do.

easy way to remedy this is to just drill a hole or two in the top that you're about to cut off - just don't go gunk-ho without knowin what you're getting yourself into!

Very good advice here, but I would take it one step further. Don't drill that hole until you've released the pressure in the keg. Get a screwdriver and a rag and depress the ball valve until all the pressure is released. Then drill your hole.

Converting a keg is not for the faint of heart: stainless splinters, sharp edges, hot metal, sparks, loud noises, and maybe even some blood. That doesn't even include getting the ports welded in. I would bet that 1/2 way through the process that $100 keg from Sabco would look very appealing....

Prosit!

I chose not to weld anything...just went with the weldless zymico. You do have a point about all the potential hazards, but if you dress appropriately and use common sense, you should be fine.

Of course, your signature quote does come in to play here. Luckily my theory and practice were at least in the same ballpark :D

Here's a process for Sanke Keg Disassembly if you're interested.

Wild

Be aware there are also about four other types of kegs out there, out of 4 that I have done there were three different types of spear assemblies, granted they were vastly different companies. (Hacker Pschorr Munchen, Guinness, Scottish Courage, Annheiser Busch)

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Latest posts

Back