Controller for Visi-Cooler (ems55advanced vs alternative)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
Hey All,

Hoping I could get some advice. I came across some Visi-Coolers for sale, to use as a fermentation fridge for my conical, similar to Imbera VR12 (https://www.imberacooling.com/global/vr-12-2). The cooler I am looking at is equipped with an Elstat ems55advanced which controls the fans, lights, and compressor. I was looking at the users manual and there are a bunch of different parameters to make this controller work. Some of the parameters are self explanatory others are not (e.g. defrost activation temp., defrost interval, defrost duration, freeze-up protection, defrost termination temperature).

I plan on using this cooler in conjunction with a Ink-Bird ITC-308.
  1. Does anyone have any advice/setpoints that should be targeted on the ems55; I plan on having setpoint at 40 deg. F with a 3 deg. F differential and energy saving mode disabled.
  2. Is there an alternative to the ems55 that will allow for simpler configuration/operation of the cooler?
  3. Is there an alternative configuration that would simplify fermentation/operation (e.g. somehow wiring up only the ink-bird to control the compressor)?
Looking forward to your thoughts.

MT

I think I might be switching gears here and hope to get some thoughts. I am proposing to remove the ems55advanced controller from the Imbera VR12 (similar to a True GDM-12) and replacing it with an Inkbird ITC-1000.

Would it be acceptable to wire the Interior Fan Out and the Lights Out directly to Line In (Hot) (See attached schematic for the ems55advanced)?

Is there any concern running this system off of an ITC-1000?

Thanks,

MT

Attachments

• ems55advanced controller.JPG
    ems55advanced controller.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
I re-wired the unit to run off of an inkbird ITC-1000 110v model. The VR12 came equipped with a 12v transformer but I didn't to mess with that so I removed it. It was also low on R-134 so that got charged up.

MT

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_194338017_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
Was wondering if you’ve had success on the ems55advanced replacement...I was planning on doing same thing. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back