Control Panel Layout Using CAD Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedennis

Reaction score
I've looked through the forum for a while but couldn't seem to find any topics on this. I have all my pieces and enclosure that I need to assemble my control panel for my RIMS system. Of course I could draw out all the dimensions of the panel and manually measure where each switch and LED should go but I'm trying to go new school on this.

Has anyone used any type of CAD software to create an actual size layout of a control panel? Or any type of program at all for that matter. This way I don't have to use a ruler and drafting tools to precisely layout every component (there are 18 of them is why). I've had experience using 3D rendering in autocad but that was years and years ago. I'm curious as to if anyone has had success doing it this way.

Cheers!

You'd still need to bust out the ruler to measure your stuff, right? I'd use sketchup, quick and easy to learn/use and free (or it least it used to be, don't know anymore since google sold it).

[Edit] The free version is sketchup "make". Annoyingly, it looks like you have to give some personal information before they let you download:
http://www.sketchup.com/

Yes this could be done. I've never done a control panel but drafting is drafting. I use autodesk inventor, if modeled correctly you could place all components and move them around parametrically to figure out where you want everything.

It will be just as tedious if not more because you will need to measure everything to plug into modeling software. Pretty much you just want a model for a concept and to verify you like everything as placed?

Yes this could be done. I've never done a control panel but drafting is drafting. I use autodesk inventor, if modeled correctly you could place all components and move them around parametrically to figure out where you want everything.

It will be just as tedious if not more because you will need to measure everything to plug into modeling software. Pretty much you just want a model for a concept and to verify you like everything as placed?

I already know the exact sizes of all the holes I need to cut. All there is, is a 22mm diameter hole for all switches/LEDs, 45x45mm square for PID controller, 26x26mm square for pump outlets, 44mm diameter circle for element power outlet, and a 51mm diameter hole for the inlet for total power to the control panel. So mainly what I would want to use it for is to make sure everything is aligned and centered and be able to give me distances, for example, from the edge of the panel to a center of a circle. This way I know everything will be aligned and ascetically pleasing before I cut anything.

I already know the exact sizes of all the holes I need to cut. All there is, is a 22mm diameter hole for all switches/LEDs, 45x45mm square for PID controller, 26x26mm square for pump outlets, 44mm diameter circle for element power outlet, and a 51mm diameter hole for the inlet for total power to the control panel. So mainly what I would want to use it for is to make sure everything is aligned and centered and be able to give me distances, for example, from the edge of the panel to a center of a circle. This way I know everything will be aligned and ascetically pleasing before I cut anything.
I did mine in Sketchup. As has been mentioned, you still need to use a ruler and pencil to trace the lines on the panel that you create in the software.

I spaced everything at least 25mm apart on the panel l, generally 50mm. So I sketched lines every 25mm on the front of the panel.

Here's mine: http://www.ryanholt.net/pictures/ControlPanel.jpg

I did mine in Sketchup. As has been mentioned, you still need to use a ruler and pencil to trace the lines on the panel that you create in the software.

I spaced everything at least 25mm apart on the panel l, generally 50mm. So I sketched lines every 25mm on the front of the panel.

Here's mine: http://www.ryanholt.net/pictures/ControlPanel.jpg

That looks awesome. That is pretty much what I was looking for. Many thanks for the input.

If you are familiar with AutoCAD and need only 2d, Dassault, the makers of Catia and Solidworks have a free AutoCAD clone called Draftsight. You just have to register once a year with an email address. I use it for basic sketching now and then.

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

The professional version has a cost, the basic (free) one does everything I need (Blocks, Layers, ect)

Not sure how many others on here have access to professional 3D cad software, but I use SolidWorks and Pro-E/Creo at work. I think it would be cool if we could get a "step" (.stp) file library going of common components. You know, for the .0001% that would benefit from it.

Back