Continuous Mash Circulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
I'm setting up my new mash tun. It a 16 gallon ss mash tun with a false bottom that I will the direct fire. I got a pump and I have notched the lid for the out hose from the pump to go through and made a manifold. My question is do I want the manifold to be a little below the top of the mash or above it sprinkling down on the mash? Thanks

If you're blowing a hole in the kettle for a hard-piped sparge arm I'd put it as high up as you can.
I installed an autosparge just an inch below the rim of my 20g MLT.
When I do my 10 gallon batch of 11% ABV chocolate stout with 40 pounds of grain the autosparge valve is still partially submerged in wort.
For every bit lower it'd be even deeper in the soup.

brew_stand_03.jpg

"Really Full MLTs Happen" :D

If you're just draping the return over the open kettle then you'd probably want to set the sparge arm so there isn't a lot of splashing - ie: close to the mash surface...

Cheers!

Our mash tun is direct fired, with a false bottom that sits 2" off the floor. We also have a false top, to diffuse the water flow evenly over the grain bed to avoid channeling / tunneling. A flow control valve is on the end of the discharge hose. We keep it right at the top of the false top. This avoids splashing.
00-6SVVrpqL4aGVN8crLXyphWl_j1hzwcUEpndmB0aupaGartDXYGmJoRrpH6UJ57GSVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-6SVVrpqL4aGVN8crLXyphWl_j1hzwcUEpndmB0aupaEXQf2ZmaXq5AQH7kpsfrGt5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

Back