continue bottle condition after it has been in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguzz

Reaction score
I bottled an ESB and conditioned it for 3 weeks at 75F. After putting it in the fridge and trying it, it is undercarbonated. Can I warm the bottles up again and will it finish carbonating (if it has any sugar left), or does chilling it finish off the process?

No, chilling just makes the yeast go dormant, so bringing them back out into the warmth will get them going again. After they have reached "room temp" in a few hours or overnight, giving them a guick flip will get the yeast off the bottom.

But the bigger question is, how much priming sugar did you add, bitters by their nature are a bit under-carbed.

British-Style Ales -- 1.75 to 2.5 volumes of co2, so they are not meant to be as fizzy as, let's say a light lager.

I added enough sugar to get it to 2.0 volumes. At least this was the amount needed according to Beersmith.

It is definitely undercarbed right now...hopefully it will work itself out in the next few days.

Back