Conical users...when to dump??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resto3

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have my first brew in an Ss BT Unitank! I have fermentation starting well. When do you recommend dumping? What dump schedule do you guys do? What works best in your experience?

Again, thank in advance for your helpful replies!

Usually 3-4 right before adding dry hops. But will probably depend on the yeast you are using and how quickly it works.

I would assume you guys are experiencing FG on day 3 or 4?

Also, if we rewind the clock a bit...
Would it not be advantageous to dump all of the trub that has settled during the final chilling, prior to pitching?
Or are you completely chilling beforehand and ensuring to break gets into the fermenter to begin with?

Thanks.

Would it not be advantageous to dump all of the trub that has settled during the final chilling, prior to pitching?
Or are you completely chilling beforehand and ensuring to break gets into the fermenter to begin with?

Thanks.

Well I am not at FG on day 3-4 but close. I like to remove the first wave of trub prior to dryhopping. I do also do another one after cold crashing before racking. Sometimes I might even do one just prior to cold crashing to see how things are going with regards to hops dropping out. I find I dont get a ton of stuff in the first day or two from the boil so just leave that in there until day 3-4.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Hi there. I am a conical novice. :). So I chilled with the plate chiller and got the beer to pitching temps going into the fermenter. I gave it 2 min of O2. Then pitched. That was 2 days ago.

Seems like some are dumping on day 3-4. What is your procedure??

Any advice I get is helpful.

Thanks!!

Hi there. I am a conical novice. :). So I chilled with the plate chiller and got the beer to pitching temps going into the fermenter. I gave it 2 min of O2. Then pitched. That was 2 days ago.

Seems like some are dumping on day 3-4. What is your procedure??

Any advice I get is helpful.

Thanks!!

I cannot offer you my procedure. I am a conical prenovice.
I am learning now for a possible future conical purchase.
My questions were purely that.
I figured I’d jump on board and we’d both learn from this.
:mug:

Same time frame for myself, however, I try to be sure I am only getting trub and leave as much yeast cake behind as I can. For brews requiring secondary, I'll do a second dump when others might move the beer. To avoid infection and suck back, I soak a paper towel in StarSan and either wrap the end of the blow off tubing or remove the blow off/Airlock and cover the port with the paper towel.

I have very little trub going into my conical due to hop spiders and recirculation during the mash but by using the jaybird canning jars yeast catcher I can see what little I have seems to drop into it in the first hr or so after filling the conical. It's not enough for me to worry about but I also like to dump about 3 or four days in and one of the reasons is since there's still more active fermentation to use up the oxygen I introduce when dumping... If you dump after primary is done and done do it under c02 pressure you increase the chances of unwanted oxidation as I see it.. same with taking gravity samples.

Back