Conical sample port - introduction of oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlmbrwng

Reaction score
The sample port on my fermentor is both a blessing and a course, as those who have them probably know. I love taking samples regularly to see how the flavor changes. I have been brewing an extra 1/2 to 1 gal more lately to account for random losses of beer, including my liberal sampling.

Well, it is kinda cool in the house and I no longer have the temperature control running on the fermentor. It's been 3 weeks that the yeast was pitched and I'm not too worried about the temps, so I used the controller for a new batch of beer. I went to sample the beer, and when I opened the port, air got sucked up into the fermentor. It was a sort-of slurpy gurgling sound, so I assumed that is what happens. I was kind shock that no beer came out. Now, granted, I didn't follow open the port. But I was surprised that air got sucked in and no liquid came out. I guess there must have been enough negative pressure to keep the liquid from coming out. Has this happened to anyone else? At this point, I dare not sample again until I'm ready to keg.

I was sooo careful up until this point about oxygen with this batch. I'm usually careful, but I was trying to be extra careful. I'm planning to bottle at some point, from the keg, and I'm worried about long-term storage and any oxygen that is present. I'm probably freaking out and shouldn't be.

It's totally fine to freak out about it, but you didn't "ruin" it. If anything, you might have just decreased the amount of time before the beer oxidizes. I would actually purge the headspace really good to make sure you get most of it out of the fermenter. Don't believe anyone who says that it's not necessary because there's a "blanket" of CO2 covering the beer! This has happened to be before, but only after fermentation has slowed down and there's not a lot of CO2 production. Now, whenever taking samples or dump trub, I hook up a low pressure CO2 source so CO2 flows into the fermenter while the beer/trub comes out. It's also useful for transferring and cold crashing. If you're into these beers, it's a worthwhile investment.

Edit: I just saw that you're going to bottle it. That is going to expose the beer to much more O2 than what got sucked in through the sample port.

Back