Confusion about fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
This is my first batch of brew!

After reading through the forums I'm now confused by fermentation temperature.

I know that fermentation can raise the liquid temp in the fermenter 5-10 degrees F above ambient air temp.

My confusion is with the recommended yeast temperature range. If my Brown Ale ingredient kit says to "primary ferment at 64-72 degrees F" does this mean air temp or liquid temp in the primary fermenter? I'm using a Brewers Best kit and the way it's written it sounds like they mean air temp because no mention of a thermometer in the fermenter is given.

My air temp has been around 64 degrees for these first 3 days of primary fermentation. Am I good or should I reduce the air temp down to 60?

I typically us US-05 yeast and i believe there temps are 60 to 72? I always ferment in my chamber at 62(air temp) so 67 possible beer temp? Thats just their ranges of temps the yeast likes to work best, if your at 64 i would say your just fine....Different yeasts put off differnt flavors at high and low temps, so if your beer turns out good at 64, stick with that.....RDWHAHB.

The suggested temps are the beer temps, not the ambient temps. Even then, in some cases you can ferment below the suggested range. I have been fermenting us-05 at 62* (beer temp) with great results.

I'm getting chills just thinking about this. I will be turning down my house heat in a few days to ferment. I plan to keep the thermostat at 60 F. I don't think I could handle anything colder.:eek: When I'm at work I'll have a plug in thermostat and portable heater keep the fermenting room at 60 F. I may play around with floor surface temps too. My bathroom floors are tile and will probably cool the fermenter more than the air temps.

The suggested temps are the beer temps, not the ambient temps. Even then, in some cases you can ferment below the suggested range. I have been fermenting us-05 at 62* (beer temp) with great results.

:mug:same, i never go below 62 and slowly raise the temp over 3 weeks.

I'm using Nottingham Ale yeast. It recommends 64-72 degrees but I believe that is air temperature...am I correct in assuming this?
If you are looking for amazing versatility from an ale yeast, look no further than Nottingham dry brewing yeast. Nottingham offers great performance with every batch, allowing brewers to cover a wide variety of beer styles with just one yeast type.
The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculant & relatively full attenuation properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt & hops to develop.
The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer. With a relatively high alcohol tolerance, Nottingham is a great choice for creation of higher-alcohol specialty beers!

From what I've been reading on here, fermenting at too low a temp is better than too high. It might take longer at lower temps but you won't get the off flavors that you get if you go too high in temp.

The good news is we keep our house at 62-64 degrees in the winter so I don't have to worry much about getting too warm in the fermenter.

Thanks for the replies! :mug:

I'm using Nottingham Ale yeast. It recommends 64-72 degrees but I believe that is air temperature...am I correct in assuming this?

From what I've been reading on here, fermenting at too low a temp is better than too high. It might take longer at lower temps but you won't get the off flavors that you get if you go too high in temp.

Thanks for the replies! :mug:

No, It is talking fermenting temp of the liquid itself not the air outside. If you had a 72 F room, you would be too hot to ferment. The rest of your post is correct.

Exactly. Get a stick on thermometer from the LHBS or even the pet supply store. I get them from the aquarium supply isle at Petsmart. The lift tube cleaning brushes are great for cleaning spigots.
So you should be measuring the fermenter temp,not the air temp in the room. I can keep the fermenter at 68F (20C) while the room temp is comfortable enough for me.

Ive got a mini brew plastic conical. What might be a good thermometer to use during fermentation to test temp inside conical?

I'm going to keep my air temp in the fermenting room at 62 and let nature do the rest! Thanks for the comments! :)

Latest posts

Back