Confused about the cool down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwmystra98

Reaction score
Hi,
I am watching videos on cleaning my grainfather all in one for the first time before using it.
I am confused about the chiller.
Hooking it up to the faucet gives unending water, plus the fact I am not in my house right now so I do not have all that i need in one space or close enough to each other. My house will be set up correctly.
ANyway, I purchased a pump chiller. I also have the glycol chiller.
Is it possible for me to just use the chiller to transfer the hot wort to my fermenter and I can use the cooling pump to cool it down? Then use the glycol chiller to ferment?
I cannot seem to get this down enough for me to have the confidence to start.
I am going to make an English Bitter ale and then the San Franscisco Porter which is no longer around.
They are waiting and I am frozen.
HELP!
Sebrina

The counterflow chiller with the Grainfather works very well. I run both the water in and out hoses out a window and connect the garden hose for chill water. Then I recirculate the wort back into the GF until it gets down to around 180F - which happens quickly - and then stop pump, move hose and restart to redirect the outflow of wort to the fermenter. Wort comes out around 80F every time. Pumps a bit slowly, but takes maybe 20 mins tops for 5 gals. For cleanup, I pump 130F PBW thru it followed by water to rinse. Before next use, I run Starsan thru it to cut the PBW residue and I'm ready to go again.

With all your chiller options, there may be an easier one to use, but the GF one is not bad.

If you want to use another device to chill, then you don't need the GF chiller at all. Just set your fermenter side by side with the GF and then rotate the gooseneck to aim the recirculating hose into the other vessel and pump away.

I assume you mean to use the glycol unit to control ferm temp. I'd go with that for cooling the wort as well. I'd have to see the setup to know for sure, but sounds like the best option with the least cleanup.

Last edited:
The water here in FL is 85 degrees. I thought I was supposed to use a cooler with ice water for the chill down.
I am still confused. If I hook up to a hose when I am cooling wort (faucet in my case) where is my red hose hooked up to? Ugh, do you have video that walks me through this? I am just confused as to where the wort goes if I am pumping water. Wait, so the blue and red hose never interact with the wort? They just cool down the chiller which cools wort? Am I getting close?

The water here in FL is 85 degrees. I thought I was supposed to use a cooler with ice water for the chill down.
I am still confused. If I hook up to a hose when I am cooling wort (faucet in my case) where is my red hose hooked up to? Ugh, do you have video that walks me through this? I am just confused as to where the wort goes if I am pumping water. Wait, so the blue and red hose never interact with the wort? They just cool down the chiller which cools wort? Am I getting close?
The silicone hose with the connector on it is for wort in from the pump. Silicone hose w/o connector is for wort out. Blue hose connects to cold water source. Red hose is for water out - which will be quite warm initially - hence the red color. It goes in a sink (or out a window in my case).
The chiller contains 2 separate piping systems. Water in and out never contacts wort - just the pipe the wort is passing thru.

I am not familiar with this unit but you can run the water from your faucet into a coil submerged in ice water in a cooler to make your ground water colder, then run that to your counterflow chiller. Or you can just transfer the hot wort to you fermenter and cool it with the glycol chiller before pitching your yeast.

I am not familiar with this unit but you can run the water from your faucet into a coil submerged in ice water in a cooler to make your ground water colder, then run that to your counterflow chiller. Or you can just transfer the hot wort to you fermenter and cool it with the glycol chiller before pitching your yeast.

Yes, I thought that would be easiest. But as I practice while cleaning the unit, I am understanding how this works. I just needed to jump in. Cleaning everything well is now the next scary part. haha.

Back