Condensate problems in brew fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I'm having problems with condensate forming in my brew fridge. What I've done is something I saw on these forums and consists of a 2" pink foam board extension to a dorm size fridge. When maintaining temperatures at around 58 deg (right below dew points in the summer here, I get large amounts of condensate forming and pooling in the bottom of the fridge. (With subsequent nasty mold forming.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for mitigating this problem?

or ACE hardware, any place like that really. its a box of silica gel, more or less.

I bought mine at home depot, it comes in a little plastic canister (second item from the left in that link Beerrific posted) and only cost a few bucks. As the crystals absorb moisture, they melt and drip down into the bottom section of the container. When they're gone, you can dump out the liquid and refill it with fresh crystals - home depot sold a big carton for under $10 IIRC that looked like it'd be good for quite a few refills.

damm i have the same problem, you guys are hightech, i figured silica gel would get used up to fast in such a high moisture envroment, so i was just going to put saw dust in the bottom of my kegorator to soak up the water and keep out the ice LOL guess im going to have to go to home depot and get me some of that stuff looks like it works good!

I use an EvaDry cordless dehumidifier in mine, works great. It absorbs the moisture, and when the crystals inside indicate that it's "full", you just take it out and plug it into an outlet for a few hours. Crystals turn colors back again and put it back in the kegerator.

Piece of cake. :mug:

The real problem must be air leaks. Where else does the moisture come from? Through the walls of the carboys or kegs ?

Back