Concord Stainless Kettle vs Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: uploaded different pic below.

At work so I don't have a keg comparison picture, but these are 3 20gal Concords. I love them, thicker than I expected.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393087008.991058.jpg

+1 on the concord. I have a 10gal concord and it's a great pot for the price. At first I thought it was going to be a cheap thin walled pot. It's a pretty solid pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kettle over keggle any day, all day long!

Kegs are for serving, kettles for boiling. Sorry just my opinion, keggles are heavy as hell and poorly shaped for boiling, and the rim or chine, I would not think fuel efficient as well...hard to heat, hard to chill, and hard to lift, what's the plus, saving 30 to 50 bucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, I have to agree. I have the 15gal and 10gal Concords and have no regrets.

Is this the same Concord pot? Seems like a great price for a 15 gal stainless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the same Concord pot? Seems like a great price for a 15 gal stainless.
There are two different style pots and lids that seem to come from different china manufacturers that both carry the "concord" brand name.

I have a 13 gallon one which is branded "Ballington" but identiacal in every way to the concord branded ones and from the same assy line in china...I also have a keggle that I use for a HLT and I got to say the keggles works well for an electric element setup and the curved bottom has advantages but the regular pot just works better for a boil kettle...

The handles on mine leak and have since I bought it... others have mentioned the same issue with the concord or spike branded ones (same pots different distributors it seems). So test yours when you get them if you plan on returning them for leaking.

honestly you can use the handles while they are full of wort because I believe the rivets will loosen and they will leak regardless as a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got three Concords, the 9gal ones though, and they're all solid and have tack-welded handles so they don't leak. Really nice pots for $65/. Think I like them more than the Bayou Classics too.

I have two 10 gal Concords (BK and HLT) and I'm about to break in a keggle MLT bottom drain. IMO Concords are great, I've drilled and mounted fittings including silver soldering Bobby M's TC flange for a heating element, they have worked well for me. I got the keg for free, and the bottom drain feature is really attractive. You can silver solder a bottom drain on the Concord, but a flat bottom doesn't seem as efficient.

There seem to be 2 styles on ebay - one with a rounded lid and one with a flat lid. The rounded 60qt is 17" wide x 16.5" high and the flat is 17"x17". Both say they have riveted handles. Other than they seem the same. The 17x17 it would actually be more like 67 qt or 16.71 gallons so I would prefer that one. Does anyone know the difference? I don't want leaky handles!

Style A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot-Brew-Kettle-w-Lid-Heavy-Cookware-Beer-Hops-/141106351809?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item20da980ec1

Style B
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-QT-Full-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-Brewing-Kettle-Large-w-Lid-/200910481540?pt=Cookware&hash=item2ec732a884

Do the Concord pots pass the magnet test? Curious if these are induction ready.

There seem to be 2 styles on ebay - one with a rounded lid and one with a flat lid. The rounded 60qt is 17" wide x 16.5" high and the flat is 17"x17". Both say they have riveted handles. Other than they seem the same. The 17x17 it would actually be more like 67 qt or 16.71 gallons so I would prefer that one. Does anyone know the difference? I don't want leaky handles!

I would be very leary of the posted dimensions. I have found that rarely do the match the actual measured dimensions. I have seen everything from measurements that include the handles and lid, shipping dimensions of the boxed pot etc.

Before you fall in love, I would email the seller for actual measured dimensions.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but for an advertised 60qt pot to actually be
68qt would be a surprise to me.

Thanks for the info. I did email a seller and it didn't exactly clear it up - he said both are the same - 17"

I have two of the Concord 20 gallon pots and one of the 25 gallon pots. All three have the rounded lid. None of the three will hold the advertised volume. The two listed as 20 gallon will only hold 18.5 gallons full to the brim and the 25 gallon will hold 24 gallons filled to the brim. The pots are good quality and none of mine leak at the handles. Just be aware that they may not hold the volume that the seller lists. I bought mine from the "Concord Cookware" seller on Ebay. Other than the volume, they are an excellent deal.

I've had a Concord pot in the past and it was very heavy and sturdy. It was the 25 gallon version. I currently run 2 converted kegs and couldn't be happier. However, I'm on fully electric and both vessels are bottom drain. If you plan on doing bottom drain, I'd go with the kegs hands down for the shape of the bottoms. If your planning from the beginning, then go with the Concord (or the like). They look better out of the keg and are priced right.

For anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread (like myself) I thought i'd post up some pictures now that I received my Concord kettle.

concord00_zps7d6011ed.jpg

Left to right: 15 gallon polar ware, Concord 80qt (20 gallon), Keggle (15.5 gallon)

concord01_zpsf52c9e07.jpg

concord02_zps2740bc4f.jpg

concord03_zps83d156c3.jpg

How much time and money did you spend polishing that keggle to look half as good as the Concord 20 gallon kettle?

Kettle FTW IMO cheers!

You are not kidding. I probably spent 40 bucks just on polishing pads and compounds! Now that I've got the one and can verify it is as good as everyone says as far as build quality goes i'm going to order two more.

For anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread (like myself) I thought i'd post up some pictures now that I received my Concord kettle.

I'm curious...have you checked the actual volume of your 20g Concord? I'm interested in that kettle, but there seem to be conflicting reports as to its true volume. One poster on this thread stated it was 18.5, but some reviewer on Amazon says it's 20. I've heard that Concord buys from more than one source in China, so maybe some variation in tolerances?

I'm curious...have you checked the actual volume of your 20g Concord? I'm interested in that kettle, but there seem to be conflicting reports as to its true volume. One poster on this thread stated it was 18.5, but some reviewer on Amazon says it's 20. I've heard that Concord buys from more than one source in China, so maybe some variation in tolerances?

I just got it delivery so I haven't taken the time to fill it full of water. Temps are below zero right now in Minnesota so dumping 20 gallons of water takes a bit more work than normal :D

Hopefully this weekend I'll find time to fill it in the next couple of days using my other pots and sight glasses. Once I do I'll post up with the results.

Just sayin that the concord comes with a nice lid, a keggle does not.

I'm a fan of kettles over keggles that's all....especially the relatively low price of the nice Concord kettles.
Lot of value for a nice pot.

I gotcha! I thought it was in reference to the kettle :) which most def came with a good lid. Once I get my new kettles welded I'll be putting the kegs on craigslist...IKEA lids and all!

I just got it delivery so I haven't taken the time to fill it full of water. Temps are below zero right now in Minnesota so dumping 20 gallons of water takes a bit more work than normal :D

Hopefully this weekend I'll find time to fill it in the next couple of days using my other pots and sight glasses. Once I do I'll post up with the results.

I hear you on the cold--I'm not far from you. It's supposed to be close to 50 by the weekend, though. :) Wish I was brewing then.

Just to save you from wasting all that water and time...when you get a chance, could you post the inside dimensions? I'll calculate from that. There's not much of a rounding around the bottom edge, so a simple cylinder calculation should get me fairly close on volume.

Looks like a rock-solid kettle. It's on my Amazon wish list. For $115 shipped, I'm close to pulling the trigger.

I may be mistaken, but I think the concord kettles are very close to the stated volume. This was an issue some time ago and they "made it right" as far as I know...but actual dimensions would clear it right up.

There's nothing more sexy than a polished single tier keggle set up... are they heavy, a little but they are so solid ya can park a car on them.. just my 2 cents..

I hear you on the cold--I'm not far from you. It's supposed to be close to 50 by the weekend, though. :) Wish I was brewing then.

Just to save you from wasting all that water and time...when you get a chance, could you post the inside dimensions? I'll calculate from that. There's not much of a rounding around the bottom edge, so a simple cylinder calculation should get me fairly close on volume.

Looks like a rock-solid kettle. It's on my Amazon wish list. For $115 shipped, I'm close to pulling the trigger.

Diameter is 17-5/8"
Depth is 18-3/4"

I failed all my math classes so post up what you figure out :p

I have a 10 gal Concord (flat lid) and it's solid as a rock. I don't think there is a better value/bang for your buck out there.

Diameter is 17-5/8"
Depth is 18-3/4"

I failed all my math classes so post up what you figure out :p

I get 19 gallons based on your dimensions, assuming these are the inside dimensions. My Concord 80 quart tri-ply also holds about 19 gallons to the brim. I have had no trouble with leaking rivets, and was told it is induction ready (haven't tried it though). I'll check with a magnet.

I also have one of the flat lid (ballington labeled) pots made by concord... the rivets leak but the pot has been great otherwise for the last year. What I dont care for are the wide/low dimensions.... I just purchased some 16 gallon bayou classic pots with welded handles which have dimensions closer to my keg/HLT

I also have one of the flat lid (ballington labeled) pots made by concord... the rivets leak but the pot has been great otherwise for the last year. What I dont care for are the wide/low dimensions.... I just purchased some 16 gallon bayou classic pots with welded handles which have dimensions closer to my keg/HLT

The Ballington and Concord pots have different dimensions. The Concord pots are taller and more slender, the Ballington shorter and wider. Excellent price on a 100 and 80qt ballington pots, $200 shipped for both...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-qt-80-q.../360938021070?pt=Cookware&hash=item54099520ce

I wonder if the old moonshiner trick to sealing joints would work on the rivets, rub some flour and water paste over the rivet, likely cure the leak. A tiny bit of silicon sealant rubbed on, and rubbed off clean would likely work as well.

Back