Completely Mental Cyser BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
I was listening to the Meadmakr Meadcast and heard about a mead called Ginga Ninja, a cyser spiced with ginger. After listening to the guys swoon, I decided I had to try it. Sadly, I can't get this mead in Texas...

Not all is lost! I happen to have a wonderful cyser recipe (Cyser BOMM) and a fantastic ginger galangal mead recipe (Mental BOMM). Let's meld these wonderful meads and see if they work together. It's completely mental, but it's only stupid if it doesn't work. If it works, it's brilliant.

Completely Mental Cyser BOMM - 1 gallon

1. Start with 1 gallon of sprouts organic apple cider or your favorite cider (no benzoate or sulfites) and an empty 1 gallon carboy.
2. Make 1 quart of tea using the apple cider with the following ingredients (heat the juice in a pot on the stove to near boil and pour through a filter funnel to strain):
-1 TBSP dried Ginger
-1 TBSP dried Galangal
-1 TBSP dried Ginseng
-1 TBSP dried Ginko
-1/2 TBSP dried Marshmallow Root
3. Allow it to brew until cool.
4. Add 2.4 oz unsulphited molasses, 2 oz raisins, and 2.5 lbs orange blossom honey to carboy.
5. Add 1/2 tsp pectinase.
6. Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K.
-Add again at 1.105 & 1.065
7. Add 1/2 tsp K2CO3.
8. Add cooled tea and apple juice to 1/2 cup shy of a gallon. Shake like hell to mix honey and aerate.
9. Add an activated smack pack of Wyeast 1388.
10. Degas every day until last nutrient addition. Especially before adding nutrients.
11. Once the gravity is stable (~1.020), cold crash until clear and bottle.

Specs
OG = ~1.146
FG = ~1.020
ABV = 16.3%

I might need my cardiologist's blessing to use some of those spices.

So to make the tea you boil water, remove from heat, add the spices and wait a while?

I put the spices and apple juice in a pot and bring to a near boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool with the spices in the juice. Once cool to the touch, I strain through a strainer/funnel combination into the carboy. You could just use ginger and galangal if the other spices are too stimulating.

Day 3
No signs of life and 1.145 gravity. Hmmm. Bad pack of yeast or a slow starter. Added some of the Pyser BOMM yeast to give it a kick.

Day 4
Rocking and rolling this morning. Didn't take a gravity, but obviously fermenting.

Day 21
Gravity holding at 1.021. Fully cloudy and unbelievably tasty. Ginger and galangal nose with a nice apple acidity. Once this clears, it will likely contend for the top 5. Began cold crashing.

11 months

Caramel ginger apples. Its amazing. Not what I was going for (I guess?), but f-amazing anyway. Cheers!

1052e32a79029b307b4b6edc8ea295fa.jpg

Goes great with Harissa Chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back