Complete Novice Here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safetyman

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Justin and I am looking to brew my own beer. I've been thinking of it for some time but have never acted on it, and I've decided now is the time. I am looking forward to the advice this board is able to provide, as I have no idea what I'm doing yet :).

See you around!

Well you start with what is your budget, Then decide. The process is the most important the cleaning and the control of tempature. If you keep it clean and sanitary which are two different things and control your fermentation temps then you will make pretty good beer! Welcome to the Hobby!:D

Hey there and welcome!

I hope you enjoy your brewing experience! Take lots of time discovering the methods that will work best for your initial attempts and don't be afraid to ask a bunch of questions if your research doesn't turn up the info you are looking for.

While you can find just about everything you need here, I tend to keep Palmer's "How to Brew" book handy as it takes you step by step from cleaning equipment to cracking open your first bottle.

Welcome, Justin! I agree with cannman that following the instructions in John Palmer's How to Brew is a great idea - you can find the book online, for free. This sticky thread is also a great resource https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/ If you are a more visual learner, Basic Brewing Radio has a series of excellent DVDs for sale.

If you plan on making 5 gallon batches, which is how most of us start. Don't buy a 5 gallon brew kettle. Make sure it's at least 7.5gallons! Wish someone had told me this before I started!

Yes, I agree on Palmer's book being the brewer's "bible" and I'd suggest reading A LOT [or watching videos, etc, whatever learning method suits you best] before investing money in anything, just to have a theoretical idea of what's what and how things work :)

Welcome Justin! I started out by doing 1 gallon all-grain batches on my stove and really learned a lot about the process on that small scale. Most people suggest starting out with extract, but my suggestion is you poke around the forums a bit and see what interests you. It is a fun hobby and there is nothing like opening the first beer you bottled and realizing that you actually made beer.

Back