Competition category question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I've got a nut brown ale, that has pecans in the recipe. It turned out amazing! I'm wanting to put it in a competition, and I just want to make sure I get the right category. I'm assuming it's going to be considered a specialty beer, due to the pecans. Is this correct? Or am I ok to put it in American Brown Ale? Thanks!

Yes. Something like that has to be in a specialty category as the base style shouldn't have pecan flavor. Its an easy gig to get you knocked out.

Half of competition judging is looking for flaws. (The other half is palate fatigue.)

Thanks! That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. My only issue is I'm not tasting a lot of pecan. I'm concerned that I'll lose points because I'm claiming it has pecans, but can't taste it. Ah well, it's still a good beer!

Yeah..... make sure you can TASTE the pecans.... If you say "brown ale with pecans" and it mainly tastes just like a great brown ale.... you are going to get dinged. Always enter first as what it tastes like - not what you intended it to be.

You might also look at Northern English Brown ale category description if there is just a hint of nutty flavor..... could maybe fit there.

For a judge, they care what it tastes like, not what it is supposed to taste like or what atypical ingredient is in it. You can make a cleanly fermented IPA with Brett as the primary strain and still enter it as an IPA and score well even though you didn't use an Ale yeast.

Back