Commercial bottle bombs?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupleathree

Reaction score
Years ago I received a jug of Carlo Rossi as a move in gift from a friend. Needless to say, it sat on the fridge for quite some time and ending up exploding in the middle of the night! Not sure if it was an infection or what. Anybody else have a similar experience with commercially distributed beer or wine? Just curious, and if so, it will be fun to hear about! :D

It was on top of the fridge. I have no idea why it exploded, I was just curious if anybody had similar experiences. It was 10 or so years ago. I had another beer once from a friend that was from a very small brewery that just spewed when I opened it. I think the brewery was called Woodmans or something like that.

'i had beer explode in my freezer (glass bottles) but it was more that the glass cracked and broke then exploded. That is pretty weird

A good friend of mine used to work for one of the local distributors here in town and was called in one morning to a store that had bottles of beer all over the aisle. While standing over some of the cases and charting on his clipboard, a bottle in the case at his feet exploded. They looked into and they found out there was an priming error made, but I would say that brewery is pretty lucky no one was hurt. Now that I say that though, I think I just heard the other day that they are going out of business...

Not had any bottle bombs, but I think I had an infection in a Rogue I had a month or so ago. Encountered a gusher.

Beer tasted fine, so not sure if it was infection but who knows.

'i had beer explode in my freezer (glass bottles) but it was more that the glass cracked and broke then exploded. That is pretty weird

When you freeze liquid, it expands. Thus, if there is no 'flex' in the bottle, the bottle breaks. Hence why one should not freeze glass bottles.

When you freeze liquid, it expands. Thus, if there is no 'flex' in the bottle, the bottle breaks. Hence why one should not freeze glass bottles.

Or cans. We'd always try to 'quick cool' beer in college in teh freezer. Sometimes we'd forget or get distracted . . . :drunk:

I had a bottle bomb from Anchorage brewing. It was their Galaxy IPA. When I wrote them to let them know, they said they recieved a shipment of bottles that didn't seem to be as strong as they were getting reports of exploding bottles. He offered to send me some stuff to replace it, which I thought was very nice. I ended up buying another bottle from that gesture.

Latest posts

Back