Comment on an FV? (conical)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jat147

Reaction score
Hey,
I've got a drawing of an FV that I'm thinking of getting from China and was hoping that you guys could see if there is anything wrong with it that I might have missed? It's around 80 gallons has a cooling jacket and insulation and will cost $1500, what do you think?
many thanks in advance

fv.jpg

I used to think getting things from China was no big deal, quality wise, until things started to break down on my brew rig! Can you find reviews on it?

I would ask this question at probrewer.com I believe that Shendong Equipment is supplying a number of domestic brewing equipment companies

I used to think getting things from China was no big deal, quality wise, until things started to break down on my brew rig! Can you find reviews on it?

My thoughts exactly, worryingly the plant seems to be only about a year old so I've found little online. The plant have declined to give me any contact with happy customers due to confidentiality rules.

Thanks wailingguitar, I've never seen probrewer before - just what I need!

Replacement parts if you ever need them may take a while to get from Way Long Dong or where ever it's made. I've been months trying to get a part for my metal brake from Harbor Fright.....

Replacement parts if you ever need them may take a while to get from Way Long Dong or where ever it's made. I've been months trying to get a part for my metal brake from Harbor Fright.....

I'm sure that is the address!:D

Yeah you're right 75 isn't too steep - am I right in thinking the issue with that is that the yeast can cling to the walls higher up than you'd want resulting in poor clarity at the bottom of the FV??

The 75* is fine.
Is there a side manway? If not how are you going to get in there if you need to? How would you dry hop in this?
My buddy that just opened his micro brewery has some 3 bbl FV that he got from China. If I remember right it was from this place. Their side manways are nice, the insides had weld splatter in there. He had not got the manways there would have been no way to get in there and clean that crap out. He also has no top port large enough to make dry hopping easy.

While a sharper drop on the cone would be preferable, it isn't a necessity. I have worked on similar designs in both 15bbl and 60bbl capacities. They work fine. Many Unitanks are built to fit the space they will be used in. The optimal degree of drop on the cone doesn't always fit into those plans since it can result in the Uni being too tall. Even dish bottom tanks work as long as you are able to rack above the yeast.

I agree that a side manway is pretty much essential with a tank like this. If you plan to do much dry hopping, as FSR mentioned, you want to have a large enough top TC port. 4" is ideal for that, smaller than 3" becomes a PITA.

Yeah thanks for the feedback. I have wrote to the plant asking if they can supply the same tank with a manway, lets hope so. They've also quoted me for a conditioning tank to go with it - If I'm planning to rack into that then it sounds like I could get away with the cone as it is?

Cone is fine as it is, either way you go. You drop yeast out of the bottom port, then rack to kegs or a conditioning vessel out of the racking port that is mid-cone. No problem.

Just a quick update - the plant replied saying that the FV does have a manway.... they just didn't draw it! hmmmm Not sure what to say about that?

Anyway I've got another option, if I could indulge you again. This is from a different plant, and is $400 more expensive but seems much better?

Many thanks again.

300L FV.jpg

See if they can add a 4" port to the top.

Yeah that would help. There is something at the top which isn't labelled on the drawing - I guess thats a release valve?
I suppose you mean for adding dry hops? Sorry if this is a dumb question... but could I just add the dry hops before filling the thing - thru the hatch at the front before I seal it??

Yeah that would help. There is something at the top which isn't labelled on the drawing - I guess thats a release valve?
I suppose you mean for adding dry hops? Sorry if this is a dumb question... but could I just add the dry hops before filling the thing - thru the hatch at the front before I seal it??

Yes, that unlabeled object should be a PRV

Dry hop before knocking out into the tank? Yes. However there are upsides and downsides to consider; obviously dumping them in through the manway is the easiest way to go. If you fill the tank through the bottom valve you will get an almost instant hydration of the pellets, they get mixed into the beer well and drop out easily along with the yeast. Because the aromatic compounds are so volatile, you would have to increase your dry hopping amount somewhat to compensate. On the other hand, post ferment you don't loose any of the aromatics from the blow off, but there is the longer turn around time, more potential for "grassy" character and the possibility that the pellets will clog stuff up. I had a 20bbl uni that I dry hopped get clogged in a BIG way... dry hopped through the top, pellets dropped in and blocked the lower out, some unhydrated pellets also go into the racking arm. What a PITA! It took a LOT of CO2 pressure pushing through those ports to free them up. This was a VERY unusual incident, and my boss at the time said thet in several years and 5 other company breweries, it was the first time he knew of it happening. So, rare, but it can happen.

It's sort of a balancing act, you get a shorter turn around because you have the hops in contact sooner and the instant hydration and currents during fermentation seem to bring the character out quicker. The blowoff loses some aromatics, but it also seems to eliminate the "grassy" character that people sometimes complain about with dry hopping. You use more hops, but you get a shorter turn around and (IMO) a better flavor. Having dry hopped in unis both pre and post ferment, I prefer pre.

Between the two tank options, I especially liked the fact that #2 clearly has a rotating racking arm, whereas #1 seemed to be stationary. If either tank can be used with a spundig valve, that would be awesome.

Hey, thanks again - lots of really useful stuff to consider before I send off my dollars

Back