Coming to Fairbanks, Alaska?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks, I definitely recommend a stop at Denali Brewing in Talkeetna. Great beers in an awesome, laid back little town. I haven't made it down to Fairbanks yet. But, there are also some great ones in Anchorage if you're in that area.

49th state in Healy, HooDoo and Silver Gulch in Fairbanks, Moose's Tooth and Glacier Brew Houses in Anchorage, Kassik's in Kenai, and a host of others in more remote areas. If you are coming to Fairbanks hit me up. I will take you to HooDoo!

Don't forget Midnight Sun brewing and King's Street brewing in Anchorage, I'd go there over Glacier, unless you want a fancy (expensive) dinner out. Moose's tooth is great for beer and their pizza is good too.

In the 16 years I have lived in Fairbanks, I have been to Anchorage 6 times, 3 of them just driving through to Kenia. Please, take others word on Anchorage breweries. A lot of great beer up here!!

Brrrr!

If I might ask, what do you guys do up there?

I was looking at a job in Anchorage, but ended up down here.

In the 16 years I have lived in Fairbanks, I have been to Anchorage 6 times, 3 of them just driving through to Kenia. Please, take others word on Anchorage breweries. A lot of great beer up here!!

I just wish I could get the good stuff up here in Kotz.

I work in education, at least for the last eight years. Got my teaching very a few years ago. Before that I worked for the UAF museum in the mammals lab and was a moose/ bear guide.

No, the city store is very limited as to what they'll carry. I was happy that they finally got a few Denali brewing beers (Twister Creek ipa and Single engine red) and 21st ammendment brew free. I guess when 80% of their sales are R&R whisky, I should be happy they have any craft beers. Especially since home brewing is very illegal up here. Oh well, I'll be heading back South in a few weeks to pick up where I left off with my brewing. Are you still a guide? I didn't hit the one-year resident status so didn't get the opportunity to hunt, but if I found a reasonably priced guide, I'd love to come back for a brown.

Edit: I did take advantage of the bush order option several times since I've been here. Who would have thought buying beer, paying shipping, and a $25 pick up fee would still be cheaper than buying in town?

I have heard that Brown Jug is now shipping bush orders, but if you are heading out in a few weeks that does not help. No, I had to give up guiding ten years ago when my ex and I divorced. Being a single dad is not overly conducive to being gone for a month in the spring and fall. I do miss it though and the money was amazing; $3-4,000/with tips for four weeks work. (If you can call camping and hunting work.) Now I just hunt and fish for food.

So, looks like I will be in Fairbanks this Monday/Tuesday. No clue timelines, but am up to ditching the family for a brewery if people will be out and about.

Back