colour of brew alot darker than should be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hi,
ive just brew a batch of hobgoblin, which on my brewmate software recons the colour should be 13.1 (SRM), however seems to be more like 30.

i used:
6kg marris otter
0.200 carapils
0.120 chocolate
0.100 torrified wheat
0.225 crystal 60

should have had a f.g of around 1.014 but its gone down to 1.010, could that be related?

thanks

Are you looking at it in a glass or the carboy. Looking at the mass in a carboy will always look a lot darker. It will also look darker before it has fermented. But I see that yours has fermented. The lower FG is not enough to make a difference, if anything slightly lighter.

Mash pH and filtering systems really affect cloning of beers on the homebrew scale...something to consider.

its currently in plastic fermenting bucket. yeah i guess theres a load f it there so that will make it appear darker. however my last batch, a chocolate orange recipe i found somewhere, also came out darker.It was meant to be dark, but not dark as guinness.

im going to look into the PH of my mash. ive only recently really got my brew day all dialed in and going properly smooth, so i think i will take another step and learn about this.

thanks for the help :

its currently in plastic fermenting bucket. yeah i guess theres a load f it there so that will make it appear darker. however my last batch, a chocolate orange recipe i found somewhere, also came out darker.It was meant to be dark, but not dark as guinness.

im going to look into the PH of my mash. ive only recently really got my brew day all dialed in and going properly smooth, so i think i will take another step and learn about this.

thanks for the help :)

thanks for the help :)

Latest posts

Back