Collecting bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Today, SWMBO and I went one of our favorite German restaurant at Plano - Bavarian Grill. A couple days ago, I emailed the restaurant to inquire empties from them. They replied to me and told me to come by around 10pm. So we decided to dine in first. They carried great selection of bier for sure... I had a weihenstephen hefe on draft and a ayinger celebrator to end my meal. Not to mention we had some brats and hog feet...yum... After dinner, we stopped the bar and talk to the bartender Andrea... I introduced myself to her. She quickly told me that she has 40+ bottles for me tonight and she apologized that there should be more but the night is kind of slow.....The happy ending is that I found a bunch of 500ml bottles from them and they were so nice to talk to. She told me to drop by anytime to pick up more bottles if I want to. Sadly, they stop getting flop tops.. otherwise, it will be so cool.....

the "moral" of this story is to go talk to your favorite bartender and ask them save some nice bottles for you.

ps-I had some Shiner Bock during happy hour... man, it tastes like a dark bud... it is not a bock for sure..... not malty at all... Shiner used to by my drink when I was in college....:off:

After dinner, we stopped the bar and talk to the bartender Andrea... I introduced myself to her. She quickly told me that she has 40+ bottles for me tonight and she apologized that there should be more but the night is kind of slow.....The happy ending is that I found a bunch of 500ml bottles from them and they were so nice to talk to.

Andrea is nice; I've spoken with her a few times. Have you tried the spaetzle? I haven't seen it anywhere else.

And . 5L are my favorite bottles; the labels fall off with a gentle soak, they take obscense amounts of carbonation, etc.

Andrea is nice; I've spoken with her a few times. Have you tried the spaetzle? I haven't seen it anywhere else.

And . 5L are my favorite bottles; the labels fall off with a gentle soak, they take obscense amounts of carbonation, etc.

No.. I didn't try the spaetzle, but several people recommends it on Yelp. I guess I'll try it again when I stop by to get more bottles next time... I counted.. I racked up about 30 500ml bottles. I'll need more for full 5G batch. Andrea requested me to bring some beers next time.. She's pretty funny.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know these bottles are easier to clean off... I just rinse the inside last night. I figure I'll save the label removing with oxyclean later, but I guess warm water would work too.

I have seen about of your post, very helpful to a noob like me. I didn't realize you are in DFW area too... For your next AG batch, can I observe? I'm planning to setup a minimash with 5g igloo, just want to see some AG actions before I start doing one. Of course,I'll bring some noob brews.

My wife made me homemade spaetzle and schnitzel just the other night...:rockin:

You'll only need a few more bottles. Most of mine are at 35-37 bottles...depending on how many samples I take...

I have about 20 cases of those bottles that I brought back from Germany a couple of years ago.

sounds so good... I guess I'll try it next time.

I'm going to build up some bottle inventories and replaced those crappy twist off bottles.... I can hear the glass cracking everything I try to use my wing capper...
So another trip would be enough

For your next AG batch, can I observe? I'm planning to setup a minimash with 5g igloo, just want to see some AG actions before I start doing one. Of course,I'll bring some noob brews.

Sure thing. My guess it would be Feb 7th. If that's bad timing then the NTHBA has a brew session on the 14th. I assume they welcome interested onlookers.

Normally I do some parts ahead of time (grind, etc) but I'll wait this time so you can get a feel for all the steps. The only thing you'll be missing is the yeast prep, I work from yeast slant cultures so it takes several days advance time on those to get them stepped up. By the time you see the yeast it will be in a flask on a stirplate, ready to pitch.

I brew outside on a semi-covered patio, so terrible weather would probably result in a reschedule. As time gets closer shoot me a PM and we'll see what the weather looks like.

thanks for taking up the request...
I just finished building a 5 gallons mash tun. I'll try it out this weekend or early next week with O'fallon's standard stout with partial mash setup...

I'll PM you earlier next week to check with you...
It is icy out today and tomorrow... take care..

Back