Cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
Do you recommend cold crashing or do you just rack and condition at normal fermentation temps?

Thanks

I always cold crash both my ciders and my beers, because I don't secondary. I try to keep the possibility of oxidation to a bare minimum.

I only cold crash if i've got a bunch of hops sediment or yeast rafts still floating around. Even then, its only 1 night at like 50 or something for me that does the trick

I have been brewing since 07, I cold crashed for the first time with the honey brown I am doing right now. When I kegged it yesterday it did not seem any clearer than any other beer I have done but it was cold. The beer is in the fridge absorbing CO2 right now. I will know in a few days if it actually made any difference. If nothing else makes it faster to force carb it because I don't have to wait for it to cool down. I usually force carb all my beers and usually wait a day after kegging them to do anything other than purge the head space. I only cold crashed for 31 hours so that may make a difference. I will post back in a few days and let you know what my final results are.

I think if you're moving your beer through your fermenter(s) quickly (i.e. 10-14 days) then a good cold crashing is warranted, but if you're letting your beer clear before racking (21+ days) then the cold crash is probably not as helpful.

I use Irish Moss in my beers, and 3 or so days in the fridge makes a tight, compact cake on the bottom; keeping the possibility of trub in the bottling bucket very small.

Whirlfloc in the boil

Good hot break

Good cold break

No secondary for me

Cold crash and gelatin in primary or keg once the beer is cooled to 33F. I'm liking the results.

Back