Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yammel

Reaction score
This is my first batch and I want it pretty clear. So I transferred to a secondary after 10 days of fermentation (Northern Brewers American Wheat extract Kit w/ US-05 Yeast). Then I cold crashed it a couple of days later for 3 days. Today I transferred to the bottling bucket and bottled. There was a lot of trub on the bottom of the primary bucket and a little trub on the bottom of secondary bucket. Will there be enough yeast left in it to properly carbonate this beer? I just ask because the beer seemed really clear when I was bottling and I cant imagine there being enough yeast left.

Yes, you'll be fine. Many people have success using the same process you describe, and adding more to clear like gelatin finings and such, still leaving enough yeast to carbonate.

Three days is a long time to cold crash, most do it for maybe 24 hours. Nevertheless, you should have plenty of yeast left to carbonate, it doesn't take much to do the job.

I tried whilfloc in my last batch and man was that beer clear. No need for cold crashing.

It should carb up well, even after lagerring I have bottled without adding more yeast and that still had yeast to go (although it was a lager yeast, so was happier cold) but that's not important.

Back