Cold crashing a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
I have a Classica american pale ale. Its been in the primary for a week so far. I plan On waiting an extra week or so beyond what the recipe said (which was 1 week) and then I want to cold crash it to clear it up some more.

1. Is it worth it with this type of beer?
2. How long should I do it for?
3. Do I have to bring it back to a higher temp then bottle ?
4. will the cold temp affect adding DME for carbonation prior to bottleing?
5. Should I boil the dme in the water before adding it to the bucket? I believe thats the proper way; then add it hot? Or let it cool then add?

sorry for so many simple questions, and thanks ahead of time.

also how much water to the 1 cup of dme for carbonation?

I just cold crashed a pale ale, for a few days, then bottled cold. I'm just storing it at room temp ~65 to let it carbonate. I boiled and added corn sugar while it was still hot. There is many different ways to do it.

I had some dme left and the recipe said you could do either. I've just never done it with dme before. It won't "shock" the beer to boil the dme and dump it in the cold beer? sorry i have never cold crashed either. I just saw it in a post last night and it sounded like a good idea lol.

I don't know if 'shocking' it will hurt it, but cold crashing made a lot of sediment fall out, and racking off the clear beer was very easy.

I had some dme left and the recipe said you could do either. I've just never done it with dme before. It won't "shock" the beer to boil the dme and dump it in the cold beer? sorry i have never cold crashed either. I just saw it in a post last night and it sounded like a good idea lol.
You don't want to add the DME to the beer, you want to add the beer to the DME.
If you boil the DME in a small amount of water, you can pour that into the bottling bucket, and then rack the beer on top of it, possibly stirring very gently. This will mix the DME into the beer and give you even carbonation.
If you add the DME to the beer, you will have to do a lot of stirring to mix it evenly, and unless you are very careful, stirring can cause oxidation.
If you don't have a bottling bucket, and you're thinking of adding the DME into the fermenter, then the stirring you will have to do to mix the DME with the beer will completely undo the good work of the cold crash.
Mixing a small hot sugar solution with the beer won't cause any significant problems, as the larger volume of the beer will rapidly reduce the temperature.

-a.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I knew that but I forgot about adding the hot sugar to the bottling bucket first. That would have sucked lol, thanks. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1. Is it worth it with this type of beer?
2. How long should I do it for?
3. Do I have to bring it back to a higher temp then bottle ?
4. will the cold temp affect adding DME for carbonation prior to bottleing?
5. Should I boil the dme in the water before adding it to the bucket? I believe thats the proper way; then add it hot? Or let it cool then add?

1. If you want to
2. two or three days at the least at below 40 degrees if possible
3. not really
4. not the beer, but you should probably keep the bottles at room temperature for a week or three while they carb up
5. already covered above, but I just use good old table sugar for the secondary fermentation... waste of good DME and corn sugar is expensive.

Back