Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
So, the dry hopping portion of our Dead Ringer IPA clone is close enough to completed. We are either going to bottle tomorrow or Sunday. Curious if there would be any benefit of cold crashing? My garage is insulated and heated, and stays right about 42 degrees on the lowest setting. Thinking I could cold crash there over night, and bottle tomorrow afternoon. Would that be long enough to help clear up the beer when we go to bottle?

I usually cold crash for 2 days before kegging. I don't know how much good overnight would do, but it's probably better than nothing for clearing your beer. There is a sizable minority here who are staunchly against cold crashing and will tell you not to because it can introduce oxygen to the beer, but I think it's a bunch of theoretical hogwash. Practically speaking, we've been cold crashing lagers for hundreds of years without all of these oxidation issues.

From what I've read, it seems like it might help, but then again, opinions are always different. So, I wanted to check. I just think with the dry hopping, the beer might be super hazy, which in reality is fine, but if I can clear it up by cold crashing, I sure as heck am gonna try.

I cold crash to 32 degrees; your garage is 42, and when the beer approaches the ambient temperature the rate at which it cools slows down.

Not only do I not think 42 is cold enough for much effect, you won't even get there. And I'm with Max384 in that I like to do it for 2 days. I also usually put finings in to help drop stuff out of solution.

Back