Cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Ive got some 'better brew bandit beer', a desperados style lager but with an ale yeast.
I want to cold crash it to get a really clear beer-is it worth putting it in the porch which will probably be 4-7 degrees C or is that not cold enough?
How long would I leave it before bottling? 2-3 days?
Thanks!

Beer will go clear on it's own, given enough time. Near freezing, it may only take 1-2 days. So just try it; won't be clear in a day, but I'd wager it will be in a week.

I brewed robust porter 2 weeks ago as my first extract batch. Kept it in primary fermenter for 5 days @ 72F (I know, I should have lowered the temp to mid 60s), then 10 days at secondary @ 66-68F, and now finally moved to fridge to cold crash for about a week @ 35-38F before bottling.

From what I read on this forum and in various other sources, it should make no substantial difference between 2 days and 7 days at near freezing temps. Again, given the color of my beer I am much less worried about it being a little bit hazy.

I suggest you put you fermenter in ~40F environment for 2 days and see if you are satisfied with the result before making bottling decision. You can always extend cold crashing time.

10866754_10155190297850691_948127632_n.jpg

I'd say that's cold enough. I usually try and do 4-5 days when cold crashing but 2-3 would probably be good too. It'll clear up like a champ.

I recently cold crashed an Irish Red for 2 days at 40 degrees F (would have done longer, but temperatures dropped and suddenly my garage went from impromptu fridge to freezer!)

This was my first time cold crashing; I was impressed with the results. This batch is by far my clearest yet! I say go for it!

Will there be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate the bottles after the cold crash?
Maybe you can suck up a little yeast from the trub so you don't end up with 50 flat beers (if my first question is a no). I cold crashed and loved it, but I keg. I ask because I too would like to bottle a few beers to try and taste the difference between bottles and keg.

Will there be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate the bottles after the cold crash?
Maybe you can suck up a little yeast from the trub so you don't end up with 50 flat beers (if my first question is a no). I cold crashed and loved it, but I keg. I ask because I too would like to bottle a few beers to try and taste the difference between bottles and keg.

You don't need to scrub the trub. There will be enough yeast in the beer to carbonize beer in the bottle or keg.

Back