Cold Crash my Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
I just racked my Kolsch (extract) from the Primary to the secondary. It sat in the primary for 2 weeks at 68*, its now in a glass carboy sitting on my basement floor at 58-60*. I plan to bottle this eventually.

Should I cold crash this and if so how should I go about it? Can I just stick the secondary in the fridge for a few days right before I bottle it? Will the yeast still carb up if I do?

Thanks for any help.

When I racked my kolsch to the secondary I dropped the temp on my fermentation freezer 3 degrees every day until it was sitting at 35F and left it there for the duration. This way I didn't shock the yeast by dropping the temp 25F in one day and still lagered it. Even after 3 weeks it was still somewhat cloudy so I just bottled it without adding any additional yeast and it carb'd up fine.

hmm, I don't have a fermentation freezer. My only options are leave it sitting in the 60ish* basement until bottling or throw it in the fridge for a bit.

Latest posts

Back