cold co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
For those of you who store there co2 tanks in the fridge does the pressure readings go down when you chill it? Makes sense if it does. Just hoping that is what caused my pressure drop and not a leak.

Any advantage to inside or outside the fridge that may sway my decision?(the tank that is)

Thanks, Snazzy

Yes, the tank pressure reading drops for the tank pressure if you keep the tank in the fridge.

Pros/Cons of keeping the tank in the fridge:

Pros:
Clean look (no equipment/lines outside)

Cons:
Less room inside for kegs
Tank pressure reading lower since tank is colder
If you have a steel tank, the bottom could rust a bit from the condensation in the fridge.

With all that being said, I keep mine inside the fridge. I have a 20lb aluminum tank, and it reads ~500psi in the tank when full. The only bad part about having the gauge read low is that when you are running out, it'll go to 0 fast.

Kinda what I was thinking. I do like it inside for the overall look. Guess I just keep a close eye on it. Thanks

I left my CO2 tank out in the garage at -4 celsius a little while ago. Pressure dropped to 450psi. I was pissed thinking my brand new 20# tank just got emptied from a leak. It was just the temperature.

If you have a steel tank, the bottom could rust a bit from the condensation in the fridge.

On this note: Plasti Dip can be found at Home Depot in a 'spray paint' variety and is essentially a vinyl coating in a spray paint format. Sand the bottom of your CO2 bottle, prime it and then put 3-4 coats of plasti dip on it and the rust problem will be forgotten. AND you'll have a sharp looking bottle to boot. : )

Back