Coffin build dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
For everyone that has built a coffin keezer. What are the typical dimensions for the coffin box an are people using plywood or what?

I'm in the midst of my build and the coffin is the one gray area. Specifically I'm wondering how deep it needs to be. I have 4 1/8" shanks

I did not use plywood for the coffins I built but some do. As far as coffin dimensions it depends on what glasses/pitcher you are going to use. Just make sure you can fit those items under the faucets comfortably. Here are the dimensions of the ones I built.

First coffin= 13.5"H x 6.25"D
Second-?
Third= 13"H x 6-9.5"D tapered

I'll agree with the post above. Make it tall enough so that you can fit your preferred glasses and/or pitchers under the taps. It needs to be wide enough to accommodate your taps. I advise you to leave some extra room for expansion. Inside the coffin is probably more important. You need to have room to connect the hoses to the taps and remove them when needed. It should also be deep enough so that you can make a couple of holes with a hole saw for hoses and air circulation. I even built a duct inside mine for the recirc fan. My fan runs 24/7. You'll also want to glue in some foam insulation. I used 3M Super 77 to glue everything. As far as wood, plywood is a good choice. I used MDF because it is so dense and I wanted all the insulation I could get. The downside to that stuff is weight! I veneered over the MDF with mahogany.

limulus said:
I'll agree with the post above. Make it tall enough so that you can fit your preferred glasses and/or pitchers under the taps. It needs to be wide enough to accommodate your taps. I advise you to leave some extra room for expansion. Inside the coffin is probably more important. You need to have room to connect the hoses to the taps and remove them when needed. It should also be deep enough so that you can make a couple of holes with a hole saw for hoses and air circulation. I even built a duct inside mine for the recirc fan. My fan runs 24/7. You'll also want to glue in some foam insulation. I used 3M Super 77 to glue everything. As far as wood, plywood is a good choice. I used MDF because it is so dense and I wanted all the insulation I could get. The downside to that stuff is weight! I veneered over the MDF with mahogany.

Where did you get the veneer? I have 3 taps I'm thinking of making it 19"L 13"H and 8" deep.

Is 8 enough for depth by the time you include insulation and the shanks?

I used to build speakers as a hobby. I had some leftover stuff. There are lots of sellers on ebay selling scrap pieces that would be great for a coffin. I also used to buy from oakwoodveneer.com

I'll try to get some measurements off mine this afternoon.

Back