Co2 welding cylinders????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the latest date stamped on the cylinder, If it's more than 5 years ago, the tank will need hydro tested.

Check the latest date stamped on the cylinder, If it's more than 5 years ago, the tank will need hydro tested.

or you might just be able to swap it out for an already filled tank, vs paying to get it tested.

It varies, but you will find welding shops that don't mind or don't pay attention, especially on a friday/saturday they tend to ONLY swap tanks not refill them.

Well, I pulled the trigger. 20 bucks for a 10 lb and a 20 lb. I figure i can't go wrong. I didn't realize, the 20 is huge! Looks like it's time to find a regulator now.

Good move. You might see if your local welding shop would trade the #10 for a 5. Much easier for portable use.

Good move. You might see if your local welding shop would trade the #10 for a 5. Much easier for portable use.

I'm definitely keeping the 10. I already have what i believe is a 5 now. It's the 20 that's a beast! My plan is to use the 10 for serving pressure for 3 kegs & use the 5 for force carbing.

Wow, $20 total? AWESOME deal.

I always exchange tanks, so no worries about hydrotesting...you might find the same. Also, I love using my 15# for my kegerator, with the 10# as a backup. Costs to exchange at my local place are $12 for a 5#, $14 for 10#, $15.50 for 15#, and $18 for 20#, so it definitely makes sense to use the biggest tank possible!

The only reason in my mind to pay for a hydro test is if you have a nice shiny aluminum tank and you can actually find a place that fills instead of swapping.

I've taken several tanks to the exchange, and they have yet to look at the date. I even pointed it out once - He didn't care...

JadeMonkey,
where'd you get the PB tank tested? I have one I need to get tested.

B

I took mine to Approved Fire Protection in South Plainfield, NJ. I was very happy with their prices and service and will definitely use them in the future.

If they're not close to you, anyone who services fire extinguishers will either be able to test your tanks or will know of someone who can.

The only reason in my mind to pay for a hydro test is if you have a nice shiny aluminum tank and you can actually find a place that fills instead of swapping.

More places swap than fill while waiting. Took me a little while to find one to fill. Don't bother going to a paintball shop. I had to call the local beer distributor to ask who does their refilling and then I was good. Airgas was useless.

the AirGas near me in middle TN has been reliable with exchanges for 5#ers, but their prices are too high... 20 bucks per tank sucks, but they are the only place within an hour of where i live...

One of the LHBS fills CO2 cylinders. They do it from a cylinder in the back (the cylinder is about the size of a standard O2 cyl. on a cutting torch setup). I know their setup is not too elaborate, so I will ask how they do it next time I'm in, but that might be an idea to use the 20# for refilling your 5#. - Dwain

One of the LHBS fills CO2 cylinders. They do it from a cylinder in the back (the cylinder is about the size of a standard O2 cyl. on a cutting torch setup). I know their setup is not too elaborate, so I will ask how they do it next time I'm in, but that might be an idea to use the 20# for refilling your 5#. - Dwain

Our CO2 cylinders are plumbed different than the ones they fill tanks with - The tanks for filling have a dip tube (Kinda like our cornys) to push liquid CO2 into the receiving tank. If you hook a standard CO2 tank to an empty CO2 tank, you'll just get about 600 pounds of gas that will very quickly be gone.

Our CO2 cylinders are plumbed different than the ones they fill tanks with - The tanks for filling have a dip tube (Kinda like our cornys) to push liquid CO2 into the receiving tank. If you hook a standard CO2 tank to an empty CO2 tank, you'll just get about 600 pounds of gas that will very quickly be gone.
I refill my own. I have 3-20lb tanks and 1-20lb tank with a diptube. I have 4-5lb tanks I use in one kegerator & for force carbing and 2-20oz paintball tanks I use in the coolerator. Refilling is easy enough with simple equipment. If your supply tank has a diptube, use it upright. If your supply tank does not have a diptube, invert it. The only way to tell, for certain, how much liquid you have transferred is with a scale. Keep in mind you're working with upwards of 700lbs of pressure and your equipment & process determines your safety. If you are not absolutely certain about your equipment and what you are doing, take it to somebody else to get it filled. Avoid making the news....

As for the economics of it:
My LBHS charges $2.50 per pound to fill. So $12.50 for a 5lb bottle.

My local welding supply charges $11.50 to swap out a 20lb bottle.
They charge $11.00 to swap out a 10lb bottle.
(It doesn't take much effort to figure out that CO2 doesn't cost much but the labor of connecting the bottles and moving things around does. Hence the scant 50 cent difference between a 20lb bottle and a 10lb bottle.)

I bought almost all of my CO2 bottles used and very cheap. I have never paid to hydro test. The welding supply just swaps them out. The fittings and valves for the fill rig came from decommissioned equipment at work and the scale, a Mettler Toledo, came from craigslist for $15. (Disclaimer: I weld too and own a lot of various gas bottles. I do a fair amount of business with the welding supply. I take them a box of donuts every once-and-a-while so I may get preferential treatment.:eek:)

Latest posts

Back