Co2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrashernyc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to move on from bottling to kegging sometime in the near future, but I had a quick question about equipment. Im picking up 2 co2 tanks tomorrow one is an empty 5lb and the other is a half full 10lb tank I beleive. I plan on doing a two tap kegerator to start but eventually plan on going to some sort of keezer.
I don't plan on keeping both tanks so which do you all think I should keep?

It all depends on how much room you have. I have a chest freezer with 4 taps, and I use 2 5lb c02 tanks. Each tank runs 2 kegs and lasts me 3 months or so and I can refill them for only $10. If you are only planning on having 2 taps you can use the 10lb tank if you get a dual regulator and run the tank into both kegs....if you have the space.

I have seen setups where the tank is on the outside of the kegerator. Other than that, the above post is correct. What are you using for a kegerator? I have a two tap fridge, and could easily fit a 10lb tank, but a chest freezer might not work with that tank depending on the size.

Other than that, take both tanks and sell the other one. They fetch decent prices.

I'd say keep both. Use one for a carbonation tank, and the other as a serving tank. I've acquired 3 five pounders, and a 20 pounder through craigslist. One five pounder is my serving tank, one is my carbonation tank, and the other is a spare if one runs out on a weekend or something. The 20 pounder is my transfer and cleaning tank. I'll use it to transfer beer, or run cleaning solution and sanitizer through several kegs. It may be overkill, but I grabbed them for cheap $. :)

I recommend keeping both of them if you can. It is nice to have a backup for when you run out of c02, or if you spring a leak :(. It has happened to me before. I had a leak and when I discovered it was a Sunday and Airgas is closed so it was Monday before I could get my tank filled. Hope that helps.
:mug:

+1 on keeping them both, being able to force carb and transfer without having to remove your serving tank, and never running out of CO2 at an inopportune time.

check the cert date don't get rid of one until you have one that has a good cert if they are both good with fresh certs keep the 10 you can always trade down if they are both bad sell both and get a 10 you can always trade down

Sorry for the threadjack but it seems the OP got his answer:

What's a decent price to pay for an empty CO2 tank? I found a craiglist ad for one and it just said make an offer.

Sorry for the threadjack but it seems the OP got his answer:

What's a decent price to pay for an empty CO2 tank? I found a craiglist ad for one and it just said make an offer.

Depends on size, condition, etc...
I can get re-conditioned, painted, aluminum, FILLED tanks for:
5# = $55
10# = $55 (yup...same price)
20# = $75

You might find em cheaper, these prices are from a local co2 dealer.

Oh... filling costs: $7, $9, & $12.

Back