CO2 tank with siphon tube. Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosamich

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have read through the threads discussing transferring CO2 between tanks and into paintball tanks and such. Seems there are 2 trains of thought - it isn't difficult or you shouldn't take the chance...
Rather than tipping a tank upside down and all that jazz I am looking at a tank with a siphon tube to pull liquid from the bottom. I realize would still need a transfer line with separate connections for paintball and smaller CO2 tank. I would have to have my tank filled rather than exchange which means a delay when filling. The siphon tube is more expensive than regular tank and I would have to have a secondary tank to carbonate/push with since the siphon tube would pull liquid CO2. So is that tank worth it or is it really not that difficult to transfer between normal tanks? appreciate your insights.

I've researched it and decided not to. Size of the tank makes a difference. I had an extra 20lb tank and was considering adding a siphon, but you aren't going to get 20lbs of CO2 out of it. I belive there's a lot of waste in filling little tanks up. And getting a 50lb tank seems like too much of a hassle to get refilled. And yes, safety is a concern. Although I figured if I only filled each tank 75%, I'd be alright.

Thanks BBBF. I was thinking the same thing about efficiency of transfer. I guess in the end the 20lb tank gets the majority of the use so the same tank can be filled for a few bucks on an ad hoc basis.

Back