CO2 tank placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get the spare time this weekend to get my kegerator system put together. The biggest dilemma so far is that I really don't have room to put the CO2 tank outside of the fridge without it being in the way. What, if any, are the drawbacks to having to put the tank inside the fridge? I know the obvious ones like, having to open the door to check pressure, less room for an extra keg, etc...

Here is the best picture I have at the moment. I could possibly put it under the counter to the left of the fridge, but the cabinets are really, really good ones and I'm not really liking the idea of drilling through them. I just bought the house a week ago and SWMBO would probably kill me. Plus, I read that generally its not a good idea to drill through the side of the fridge because there may be cooling lines in there. I'm on the road for work right now, so I don't have the model number of the fridge. All I can say is that its a Kenmore, if that is worth anything.

DSC00132.jpg

put it in the fridge, its fine.
if you have a dual gauge regulator, it wont give you an accurate idea of how much you have left, other than that, there are some very minor issues that you'll never notice. 99% of commercially built units have the tank in the fridge.

+1 for putting it in the fridge. It won't hurt anything. The only difference you'll notice is that your high pressure gauge will read lower, but it's a liar. Don't worry about it.

i keep my tank in the fridge. i also have a single-gauge regulator. the doubles are a waste; first you have pressure, then you suddenly don't

Thanks guys. Looks like I might need to pick up a backup cylinder. Can't be in the middle of drinking and have the tank go dead with no 'emergency' supply at the house.

get a 20oz paintball tank and the $17 adapter. cost about $3 to have filled at any sporting goods store. i use it as a backup and it travels easier when i go to the beach or party. they will last several kegs as long as you are not using them to force carb.

get a 20oz paintball tank and the $17 adapter. cost about $3 to have filled at any sporting goods store. i use it as a backup and it travels easier when i go to the beach or party. they will last several kegs as long as you are not using them to force carb.

I heard that the co2 that sporting good stores use has a very small amount of oil in it to lubricate the paintball guns. How true this is I really don't know, just something I heard from my local brew store

I heard that the co2 that sporting good stores use has a very small amount of oil in it to lubricate the paintball guns. How true this is I really don't know, just something I heard from my local brew store
Not true. They are referring to pellet gun co² cartridges. "Some" of them do contain lube for the gun mechanism.

Why keep a CO2 tank cold while taking up valuable keg space? I never understood that line of thinking...of course in your situation, you might not have another option.

...unless.... what about keeping it to the left, inside the cupboard and running a line to the fridge, through the wall, into the gas manifold, then to the kegs? That's what I'd do.

• Running a gas line through the cabinet wall, and having one more beer on tap,
    -or-
  • Paying to keep a CO2 tank cold and have one less beer on tap....

Can we see any pictures of your cabinetry near the fridge?

TiberlookslikeafunplacetohangoutBrew

since i only have a 5lb co2 tank, i keep mine in the door of my fridge...
seems to work just fine and doesn't take up any keg room

Yeah, a little 5#er will fit in plenty of places a corny wouldn't. It'd by silly to put 3 cornies and a co2 instead of 4 cornies, but usually it won't be that way.

since i only have a 5lb co2 tank, i keep mine in the door of my fridge...
seems to work just fine and doesn't take up any keg room

Yeah, a little 5#er will fit in plenty of places a corny wouldn't. It'd by silly to put 3 cornies and a co2 instead of 4 cornies, but usually it won't be that way.

Yeah, 5 founders aren't as much of a space hog. I've seen kegerators with 3 cornies and a 209F pounder, and that makes no sense to me.

Iron city, what size is your CO2 cylinder?

Back