CO2 tank in the lagering chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCubed76

Reaction score
Need some assurance as I'm doing my 1st lager. Finished primary fermentation, cold crashed, and fined with gelatin. Next I transferred into keg, purged the oxygen, and put keg and CO2 in the chamber with no pressure. Plan to let it sit for 5-6 weeks at 33 degrees, then force carb, and start serving. Am I doing this right?

Why aren't you force carbing right now? Corny kegs won't seal properly without positive pressure and you risk oxygen making its way back into the keg.

I thought i was supposed to lager first, then carb. Should I carb first, then lager?

I hook up to co2 right away. I lagered an Oktoberfest for 6 months on co2. As Vale said , you need that pressure to ensure no o2.

OK. Thanks. I purged it and put 8 lbs on it and plan to leave it there until it's ready to drink.

You left the gas attached and sitting at 8psi, right? If you just put 8 psi into there and then disconnected or turned the gas off, it won't carb up from that...

Nice name BTW! :mug:

I just noticed your name. That's awesome! I used to be called Rsquared, but then I was ordained and added the prefix "Rev".

Back