CO2 tank blowing gas when I open the tank valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
Kegged my first beer last night. Then the bigger problem. Get the beer in the keg seal it up, connect the gas to purge and get it on some co2. As soon as I turn the tank on the gas starts shooting out of somewhere. It's not the regulator. Everything is fine on that side. It's coming out from, like, the base of the main valve on the tank. I'm almost thinking that release or blow off nut on the tank (assuming that's what it is) is open or something. Thankfully, my buddy right down the road had an open gas line in his keezer so I took it to his house to get it on some gas and chill it in his keezer. I'm going to swing back by tonight to pick up the keg and let him look at my tank. Is anyone familiar with something like this? I feel like it's a dumb mistake and when I figure it out it'll be a total face palm. Thoughts? Here is a picture. The part I have circled red is where it seems to be coming from. As soon as I turn the tank valve open it starts pouring out of that area.
mB2oxlG.jpg

Disregard. I wasn't thinking when I said to remove the relief valve to inspect it. It's exposed to tank pressure even when the tank valve is closed! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE WITH PRESSURE IN THE TANK!!!

That is the tank's pressure relief safety valve. It's not supposed to open unless the tank pressure exceeds its max rating, like if you left a full tank in a hot car. Did you have the tank someplace very hot? If not, it's possible that some debris got into the seat, or the stem is loose. See if you can tighten it back down, or with tank valve shut, pull it out and see if there is any crud in there keeping it from seating. If none of that works, the tank should be swapped out.
Nope, not it a hot car. In fact, as soon as he handed it to me I took it straight home and put it inside my house. The place I got it from is right down the road so I may just run by there at lunch and see what's up or get them to give me another tank.

Front the web: "The valve should have a pressure relief safety device. The device contains a frangible "burst disk" that is designed to rupture and safely release the CO2 contained in the tank should you accidentally overfill it or subject it to high temperature. The burst disc is uaually rated between 1,800 and 2,500psi for CO2 tanks and can be as high at 3,500 psi for Nitro tanks.

An overfilled CO2 tank, when subjected to summer time temperatures, will quickly build up enough pressure to blow out the 3000 PSI burst disc."

The burst disc is blown and must be replaced.

If it were my personal tank, I'd consider taking apart the relief valve and attempt to fix what's wrong with it. Since it's not your tank, you're right to just take it back and let them deal with it, or give you a tank without a defective relief valve. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks guys. Just to make sure I didn't make a ******* mistake, let me make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. I hooked the regulator to the tank. Had the regulator off/closed. Then cranked on the tank with intentions of cranking it wide open then slowly opening the regulator to get to the right psi. Just making sure I didn't cause any issues by opening the tank valve with the regulator valve closed.

If the pressure release were popped, the pressure would escape whether or not the valve is open. As it happens only when the valve is open, the valve is what is leaking.

If the pressure release were popped, the pressure would escape whether or not the valve is open. As it happens only when the valve is open, the valve is what is leaking.

Ah! good point... Disregard my earlier post.

Damn. You might be right! I don't see that in there. All I see is a black rubber washer or o-ring. Can I buy those yellow discs?

Yes. Just about any LBS, or OHBS will have them.

Quick test fix would be to use a nickle to draw a circle on leather (old wallet, etc..) and a hole punch for the center.

Old school washers were hard felt.

What brand is your regulator? Is this black rubber washer attached to / part of the inlet of the regulator, or is it separate? Maybe some pics.

Some regulators have a black seal attached to the inlet (e.g., Taprite), others use a separate fiber or thick plastic washer (e.g., MicroMatic). In some cases, if you use the wrong kind of washer (like a thin rubber washer on a MicroMatic) it won't hold and it will leak. Or if the seal (like on the Taprite) has come out of its groove.

What brand is your regulator? Is this black rubber washer attached to / part of the inlet of the regulator, or is it separate? Maybe some pics.

Some regulators have a black seal attached to the inlet (e.g., Taprite), others use a separate fiber or thick plastic washer (e.g., MicroMatic). In some cases, if you use the wrong kind of washer (like a thin rubber washer on a MicroMatic) it won't hold and it will leak. Or if the seal (like on the Taprite) has come out of its groove.
I'll upload a pic in an hour or so when I get home from work. This is the regulator, I'll send a pic of the o-ring when I get home.
s-l300.jpg

I realized that even though mine had a black rubber o-ring, it leaked without an additional fiber washer. These are usually attached to the tank valve with a rubber band when I go exchange them. The time I relied on just the black o-ring, I lost a full tank of co2. The next time I got the tank filled (exchanged) I asked for 20 of them and they just gave them to me. They might have been $0.20 each, but the guy didn't know the part number. Point is, they're cheap. They are also one-time use, so every time it's disconnected, a new one should be used. Nylon ones can be found online. My lhbs thought I was crazy when I asked about them. They should carry them as a courtesy, even though they don't do anything with co2.

Well guys, I have figured out that I am definitely missing that washer. However, it doesn't matter because my regulator is also leaking from the face/dial. Thankfully, the ebayer I got it from has already put another in the mail to me. And in the meantime my buddy has nothing in his keezer so he's letting me borrow his regulator until my new one gets here. So I can drink my first beer this weekend! Finally!

Back