CO2 Regulator - Any Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
Ok I'm down to the home stretch on completing my kegging system. The only items I need is a CO2 Tank and a Regulator. I've been piecing it together because it's too expensive to buy it all at one.

I bought a Gas Distributor (Manifold) so I can hook the regulator up to the manifold and shut off lines to each keg. This way I don't need a dual regulator. I believe they have ball locks too so no beer goes back up the line.

Saying that what is the "preferred" regulator that all you brewing masters use? I just need a single with dual gauges for psi in and remaining co2 in the tank. My local supply store is selling theirs for $75.00 and on Amazon I see different ones going for $50 or less.

Any suggestions?

I have a dual Taprite, and I love having the locking knobs rather than having to deal with a screwdriver to adjust my pressures.

They make single body regs too, but that would be my suggestion Taprite, a bit more pricey, but worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely agree with getting a Taprite. Those things are awe-some!

This link that I provided is for a Premium Double Gauge CO2 Regulator - Polycarbonate Bonnet. I don't see any reviews so does any one have any feedback on this one?

"http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Double-Gauge-Regulator-Polycarbonate/dp/B003I662LE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1304450350&sr=8-1"

I'd do a craigslist hunt first. I've purchased tank & reg for $40. I have 2 Tap-Rites and they are fine. Also have 2 ancient regs that are in various states of broken.

Looks like the same one. I just thought of another question after looking at a photo. Can I use Vinyl hosing or should I get some of that Red Hosing. It looks a little "tougher".

Looks like the same one. I just thought of another question after looking at a photo. Can I use Vinyl hosing or should I get some of that Red Hosing. It looks a little "tougher".

I may be mistaken, but the red PVC hose is rated for the pressures involved with kegging, your standard clear vinyl hose, ithink, would be a no-no.

I'd be more concerned with CO2 stripping off any of the chemical release agents and the general chemical compatibility of the hose with the gas. It's a long term set up, might as well spend the extra few $$$ and while your at it install a sanitary filter on the CO2 line to keep any impurities like rust from screwing with your beer.

That tubing shown from Lowes might not be a good choice for a keezer/kegger as it gets brittle @ 42F.

I have a dual Taprite, and I love having the locking knobs rather than having to deal with a screwdriver to adjust my pressures.

They make single body regs too, but that would be my suggestion Taprite, a bit more pricey, but worth every penny.

You know, I don't know why all regulators for keg systems are not equipped with a knob. I wonder if I could convert mine on my own. I just need to find a knob with a threaded end that would fit.

Just remember the hi pressure gauge tells you nothing about how much CO2 is left in the tank. That's why many regulators don't have a hi-gauge.

10lbs of CO2...one ounce of CO2...they both exert 900psi at 70F. When the needle drops its either because you have no CO2 left in the tank in a liquid state (i.e. out of CO2) or the temperature has dropped. at 40F keg temps you'll only see around 400psi.

You have to weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight to see how many pounds of liquid CO2 remain inside :)

Just remember the hi pressure gauge tells you nothing about how much CO2 is left in the tank. That's why many regulators don't have a hi-gauge.

10lbs of CO2...one ounce of CO2...they both exert 900psi at 70F. When the needle drops its either because you have no CO2 left in the tank in a liquid state (i.e. out of CO2) or the temperature has dropped. at 40F keg temps you'll only see around 400psi.

You have to weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight to see how many pounds of liquid CO2 remain inside :)

It tells you that it's full right after you have it filled!:ban:

Latest posts

Back