CO2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indybrewer

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer tonight. When I hooked everything up the guage was a almost in the middle between 600 and 800. After about 3 hours in the fridge I notced that the gauge dropped down to the quarter mark above 600. Also after putting it in the fridge the psi was set to 12 and was down to 10. I have read that the temp of the fridge will cause this. Is this true. I don't see or here leaks.
Thanks for the help.

:mug:

Thanks for the quick respones. So is it better to put the tank outside the fridge or does it matter?

Pressure does not equal volume. You have the same amount of CO2 in the tank whether it's inside or outside the fridge. I do either as is convenient.

so when you set the despensing pressure, and put the co2 in the fridge, check back the next morning and adjust the pressure, it will be lower.

aekdbbop said:
so when you set the despensing pressure, and put the co2 in the fridge, check back the next morning and adjust the pressure, it will be lower.

Well, the secondary preassure shouldn't be lower if the regulator is reasonaby accurate. However, primary CO2 pressure (pressure in the CO2 bottle) is pretty much a function of temperature. Cold temperatures and the preassure goes down. Going from 60 kPa to 50 or even 40 is OK, but if it's dropping then you should look for leeks with soaped water (you probably should have allready, really...).

H

You shouldn't need soapy water to see these:
F12052b.jpg

Thanks again for all your replies. It has leveled off so I think I am good. I love this kegging stuff. 2 hours bottling and 10 minutes filling a keg. Doesn't take me much to figure out the beauty!

Back