CO2 Leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarretSTL

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Been reading for a while and am hoping this is a good place for a solution to a problem I have. I know CO2 leaks get beat to death, and I've read countless threads here, but I have a little different of an issue I hope you guys can help with.

After my first keg, I unhooked all my equipment and turned everything off appropriately. Upon preparing for the next, I found out my 5 lb tank was completely empty. As I set this one up I followed many suggestions here such as setting to 50 psi and using soapy water to test all connections. Everything looked great so I tapped the new quarter barrel, set to 10 psi, and let it set overnight. In the morning the tank was at 8 psi, after work it was about 6, and so I clearly have not solved the issue.

What I did next was disconnect the coupler from the keg, repressurized the tank to coupler portion to 10 psi, and set it aside from the keg. Thus far there has been NO change and the pressure is holding constant.

This brings me to what I think is my main question. Is it possible to have a CO2 leak that starts AFTER the coupler? Can it leak where the beer line meets the coupler or even as far as the tap? Are there common places this would happen? Could the coupler not be tight enough on the keg? If it doesn't change outside of the keg should I re-tap the keg and look for leaks at the tap and beer liquid line?

Very sorry for the length of this post, but I am a noob at pressurized gas systems like this and thought it would be a bit easier.

Thanks in advance!:mug:

If you had a leak after the 'out' line on the leg you would get leaking beer so it would be easy to spot.

Are these different kegs or the same one?

If it is the same keg, and you can't find the leak with water, I would make sure your posts are tightened down well and replace all of the o rings as well as smear them liberally with keg lube. If they are different kegs, I would say that it has to be a problem with the gas in coupler when it engages the keg.

Hi Everyone,

Been reading for a while and am hoping this is a good place for a solution to a problem I have. I know CO2 leaks get beat to death, and I've read countless threads here, but I have a little different of an issue I hope you guys can help with.

After my first keg, I unhooked all my equipment and turned everything off appropriately. Upon preparing for the next, I found out my 5 lb tank was completely empty. As I set this one up I followed many suggestions here such as setting to 50 psi and using soapy water to test all connections. Everything looked great so I tapped the new quarter barrel, set to 10 psi, and let it set overnight. In the morning the tank was at 8 psi, after work it was about 6, and so I clearly have not solved the issue.

What I did next was disconnect the coupler from the keg, repressurized the tank to coupler portion to 10 psi, and set it aside from the keg. Thus far there has been NO change and the pressure is holding constant.

This brings me to what I think is my main question. Is it possible to have a CO2 leak that starts AFTER the coupler? Can it leak where the beer line meets the coupler or even as far as the tap? Are there common places this would happen? Could the coupler not be tight enough on the keg? If it doesn't change outside of the keg should I re-tap the keg and look for leaks at the tap and beer liquid line?

Very sorry for the length of this post, but I am a noob at pressurized gas systems like this and thought it would be a bit easier.

Thanks in advance!:mug:

I'm thinking that you don't have a leak- that the co2 regulator is adjusting to the pressure in the beer and just needs to be raised back to 10 psi if it drops overnight. Sometimes my one regulator does that- sort of "floats" around the first couple of days, but then settles down when the beer is carbonated to the correct pressure.

This is what made me think that this is the case, where you said: set to 10 psi, and let it set overnight. In the morning the tank was at 8 psi, after work it was about 6"............. that just means that the regulator needs to be turned back up to 10, not necessarily that there is any sort of leak (or you'd be out of gas again).
I hope that makes sense!

I'm thinking that you don't have a leak- that the co2 regulator is adjusting to the pressure in the beer and just needs to be raised back to 10 psi if it drops overnight. Sometimes my one regulator does that- sort of "floats" around the first couple of days, but then settles down when the beer is carbonated to the correct pressure.

This is what made me think that this is the case, where you said: set to 10 psi, and let it set overnight. In the morning the tank was at 8 psi, after work it was about 6"............. that just means that the regulator needs to be turned back up to 10, not necessarily that there is any sort of leak (or you'd be out of gas again).
I hope that makes sense!

That makes sense. If this is the case do you think that the first time I tapped a keg I just didn't have the connections tight, developed a leak that I didn't know about, and then the CO2 tank slowly emptied? Because remember, after my first keg, the whole 5 lb tank was gone.

Also, if it was just adjusting would it continue to drop every time I raised it back to 10 or would that probably only happen the first time or two? How would I differentiate that from a leak? If i tapped the keg, turned the tank off, and it had a leak, would it drop all the way to 0?

Really appreciate the help everyone!

That makes sense. If this is the case do you think that the first time I tapped a keg I just didn't have the connections tight, developed a leak that I didn't know about, and then the CO2 tank slowly emptied? Because remember, after my first keg, the whole 5 lb tank was gone.

Also, if it was just adjusting would it continue to drop every time I raised it back to 10 or would that probably only happen the first time or two? How would I differentiate that from a leak? If i tapped the keg, turned the tank off, and it had a leak, would it drop all the way to 0?

Really appreciate the help everyone!

Two ways to check for leaks

Spray Starsan solution (my preference) or soap solution on connections and watch for bubbles.

Check with keg empty, pressurize and turn off the CO2 tank. Watch for pressure drop.

Teflon tape is never a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back