Co2 filled in MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just moved to "Winchesta" from the west coast. Before I left I kegged my last brew and put it on gas in the moving truck and drove 3K miles - called it the cost-to-coast IPA. When I pulled into Boston and plugged in the kegerator - t'was flat - no gas (wasn't much in there when we left, guess it got absorbed). Every where I called was swapping but I didn't want to give up my shiny tank I purchased new. Finally found Igo's Welding in Watertown that filled my 5# tank for $25 - a bit pricey given I paid $15 in L.A. but I don't mind paying a bit more to keep my tank.

Just to add to the thread to keep it updated:

Keane Fire Supply, Waltham = 5lb for $18, 20lb for $31
-They fill them. You drop them off and come back the next day. Won't do it on the spot. More paranoid about the tank dates and inspections. They do hydro testing for $20.

Igo Welding, Watertown - 5lb for $18
Fill on the spot while you wait.

Airgas - Effing ripoff $47 for a 20lb tank swap. I think 5lb was around $30

Greenlife Growing Supply, Billerica (think other locations too) - $17 for a 20lb swap!!

I really lucked out recently looking on Craigslist. Found a guy selling a 20lb tank for $60. I picked that up from him and then drove it over to the hydroponic growing place that was advertising on Craigslist. They swapped it for $17. All in all, paid $77 for a full 20lb tank!

-They fill them. You drop them off and come back the next day. Won't do it on the spot. More paranoid about the tank dates and inspections. They do hydro testing for $20.

Igo Welding, Watertown - 5lb for $18
Fill on the spot while you wait.

Airgas - Effing ripoff $47 for a 20lb tank swap. I think 5lb was around $30

Greenlife Growing Supply, Billerica (think other locations too) - $17 for a 20lb swap!!

I really lucked out recently looking on Craigslist. Found a guy selling a 20lb tank for $60. I picked that up from him and then drove it over to the hydroponic growing place that was advertising on Craigslist. They swapped it for $17. All in all, paid $77 for a full 20lb tank!

Thanks for the heads-up about the place in Billerica. I think I'll use them in the future!

I just dropped my 10 lb tank off at Keane this morning, last time I remember paying ~$20. I'll update tomorrow with the latest pricing. I literally pass that place on the way to work, so even if their pricing is a couple bucks more than some competitors it's so convenient for me that I wouldn't go elsewhere.

Update: It was $20 even. I got the impression it should normally cost a couple bucks more but they just wanted to make it easy and not open up the office.

Anyone know if the Greenlife Supply place in Billerica does 5lbs fills. Their site says 20lbs refill for $25. I know aslander said he did a 20lbs swap for $17. Wonder if they only deal with 20lbs.

No they only do 20lb swaps. It's worth it though. I only had a 5lb and was going through it 3x a year. It was too time consuming so totally worth it for me to buy a 20lb. Just think that refilling a 5lb 4 times would cost you 80+... not counting all your time. You basically break even after 1 swap of the 20lb.

Arco Welding Supply in Malden was $35.64 ($28.88 for the gas + $4.95 hazardous material handling charge + $1.81 MA sales tax) for a 20 lb tank fill.

I was in and out in about fifteen minutes. They seemed perfectly nice. My only question is the "hazardous material handling charge." I assume that's their filling fee or labor cost; it doesn't seem unreasonable. Is it normal?

Just went to Tolman's in Southie to fill my oxygen tank. $12 for a 5CF tank. Extremely fast refill, was in and out in like 5-10 minutes. The person working was very nice and helpful.

They also do hydro test, and do CO2 and beer gas.

Had a hydro test on a few CO2 tanks and they also filled them the other day at Keane Fire Safety in Waltham, MA.

Recert was about $26, fill on a 20LB tank was $33.

I live in Plainville. Anyone have any experience with any places around this area? I occasionally work in Waltham, so that could be a possibility. I just got a brand new 5lb tank that I will be using for 6 taps. I would rather not switch it out since it's brand new, but I know I will need to refill regularly. And Waltham is a hike...

Two thumbs up for dmi gasses. In and out in minutes and you get full fills every time. 👍👍👍

Just wanted to drop a couple of quick link updates. The old list of CO2 places was removed from the Boston Wort Processors site, because the wiki just accrued too much spam. The new link is here:

Boston Wort Processor CO2 Locations

If you need a full screen map, that's here.

All the information is kept in a Google Docs Spreadsheet, so if the site ever does away or the link changes, the information should still be available...unlike the wiki, ha.

DT

Last edited:
Maine Oxy in Milford.
Great guys. Only does swaps (no refills).
Will also do upgrades. I gave them 2 empty 5# tanks, including one that was out of date, and they gave me a full 20# tank.
I haven't refilled yet (or, actually, swapped), but I think their price for 20# was around $30, which is pretty close to what I was paying for 5# swaps in Natick.

Maine Oxy in Milford.
Great guys. Only does swaps (no refills).
Will also do upgrades. I gave them 2 empty 5# tanks, including one that was out of date, and they gave me a full 20# tank.
I haven't refilled yet (or, actually, swapped), but I think their price for 20# was around $30, which is pretty close to what I was paying for 5# swaps in Natick.
I second this place. Nice guys and good prices. I swapped out a 10 lb tank for around $25 I think. That price was for a tank that had expired and was swapped with one of their tanks. Glad I found the place.

I go to DMI Gases in Hyde Park. Actually in Readville which is a section of Hyde Park. They fill your tank while you wait. They also offer beer gas mix and sell tanks of all sizes. I found them online at dmigases.com :)

Another option in Waltham is Metro Welding supply. They do swaps, I don't know the current prices.

For the record, Maine Oxy is awesome $38 for a 20 lb swap. My tank was so old it didn't have any inspection date at all. They just hooked me up with a new tank without the required $25 inspection fee.

I thought I updated this thread but apparently not. I got a fill at Speedway in Gloucester, 20 lb for around $22 or $23 including tax. Still great folks over there. They do beer gas too for those interested.

I thought I updated this thread but apparently not. I got a fill at Speedway in Gloucester, 20 lb for around $22 or $23 including tax. Still great folks over there. They do beer gas too for those interested.

I've used them also but they require a nitrogen tank for beer gas and are hardcore for inspection dates. Great people but be prepared before you make that drive.

I just hit MaineOxy in Hudson (NH) for some welding gas, but I saw their CO2 fill prices. I think it was $18 for a 5# and $36 for a 20#. Easy location right off Rt.3 just over the border. Open Saturday morning 8 til noon.

I'm in Chelmsford and work in Billerica, so I had been using Airgas on Plank Rd. in Billerica. It's been a couple of years, but I think I was paying $23 for a 5# swap. MaineOxy seems like the better of the two and being open Saturday is nice.

I just hit MaineOxy in Hudson (NH) for some welding gas, but I saw their CO2 fill prices. I think it was $18 for a 5# and $36 for a 20#. Easy location right off Rt.3 just over the border. Open Saturday morning 8 til noon.

I'm in Chelmsford and work in Billerica, so I had been using Airgas on Plank Rd. in Billerica. It's been a couple of years, but I think I was paying $23 for a 5# swap. MaineOxy seems like the better of the two and being open Saturday is nice.

Nice I drive past there all the time. Do you know if they do swaps or fill? Im about to pull the trigger on kegging trying to decide buying a tank here or get a swap or something at the gas suppkier.

Nice I drive past there all the time. Do you know if they do swaps or fill? Im about to pull the trigger on kegging trying to decide buying a tank here or get a swap or something at the gas suppkier.

I didn't ask about the CO2, but it said 'CO2 fill prices' right on the wall above the price list, so I assumed they fill. They might swap, too, I don't know. I'll probably be going back there for some CO2 in the near future. I'll ask when I go back.

any idea how much their beer gas fills are?

Airgas looks like a M-F shop, any shops that might be open late on the weekdays or on the weekends that might be a little closer than StrangeBrew?

A little closer to what?

MaineOxy in Milford is open Saturday mornings. Witches Brew in Foxborough is open Thurs/Fri nights 6-8 and Saturdays 12-5. Note - both do tank swaps, not fills on-site like Strange brew does.

For the record, Maine Oxy is awesome $38 for a 20 lb swap. My tank was so old it didn't have any inspection date at all. They just hooked me up with a new tank without the required $25 inspection fee.

Can confirm. Was about $40 with tax today in Milford for 20lbs. My old tank was way out of date as well.

I'm going resurrect this thread as I have a new kegging setup for the first time. I live in Ipswich and am surrounded by welding and fabrication shops, but none do tank fills or swaps. Looks like Speedway in Gloucester is my best and closest place? Anyone know of a place that does fills or swaps along the Rt 1 area Danvers or north?

Edit: I spoke with Speedway and they do not do swaps and would not fill outside of test date, so I'm still out of luck.

Take your old cylinder to an AirGas fill station and swap it. Odds are high they won't blink an eye wrt the expired hydro test.

Then you can work with Speedway...

Cheers!

that's what I was thinking. Now to just find a place like that close. I seem to be in a blackhole for Prexair, Airgas, etc. Looks like I'm heading to NH.

Last edited:
I live on the south shore. I fill mine at a fire extinguisher service place. $12 for a 5 lb. Not sure if they would do one out-of-date or not, but you can look for an extinguisher service place near you.

I have 1 within half an hour and they do fills, but not with my tank, they don't do swaps and don't recert. The best looking option for me without driving to the south shore would be to go to Arcsource in Hampton NH.

They said that a 20# tank fill is $56 and 5# is $25. Are these reasonable prices?

I have 1 within half an hour and they do fills, but not with my tank, they don't do swaps and don't recert. The best looking option for me without driving to the south shore would be to go to Arcsource in Hampton NH.

They said that a 20# tank fill is $56 and 5# is $25. Are these reasonable prices?
That seems high. Like I said, I pay $12 for 5# at my fire extinguisher place in Quincy

Last edited:
Back