cluster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmolledo

Reaction score
I have over 1lb of cluster because It was super cheap. But I didn't read reviews of the hop before hand. Since I bought them I read reviews of this hop smelling like cat urine and such. Are these urban legends or is this hop actually decent?

I don't have experience with brewing with cluster, but I've heard similar stories about simcoe (and summit smelling like onions). I haven't experienced any of these flavors, so I think that you should be good. If a hop smelled like cat urine to 100% of people, then I highly doubt that it would be a popular variety.

Cluster is a bit "catty" when used to excess but it can't hold a candle in the cat piss department to some modern varieties like Chinook. Cluster makes a pretty good basic bittering hop especially for some of the traditional American styles like CAP and California Common.

im in the same boat, have half pound of cluster and have been afraid to use it because of these "cat urine" rumblings. Im assuming it would be safe to use 1-3 oz at the 60 and 30 minute additions without risking the "cat urine" flavor?

im in the same boat, have half pound of cluster and have been afraid to use it because of these "cat urine" rumblings. Im assuming it would be safe to use 1-3 oz at the 60 and 30 minute additions without risking the "cat urine" flavor?

The cattiness of Cluster is way overstated IMO. Like I posted above Cluster is way less catty than some modern hops like Chinook which lots of folks seem to be nuts about. That said, I wouldn't use it in any additions considered to be for flavor or aroma. :mug:

Open the bag and take a sniff. See what you think.

this coming from the guy with a cat as his profile pic! I did already, smells good IMO. I'll just bite the bullet and try it one of these days. If it tastes bad then I'll name that recipe Cluster F***.

I made a wheat pale ale, kinda like NB wheaten beatdown but with all cluster.
I think it went
1/2 oz 60 min
1 oz 30 min
1 oz 15 min
1 oz 2 min
1 handfull dryhop

No cat but real nice tangerine/light grapefruit
I like it :D

Back