Clogging up the plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimenal

Reaction score
whats happen?

I just got a plate chiller to add to my system.

My current system is 2 x 20 gallon boil pots with a pump, Just tried to use the plate chiller and sent the wort through the plate chiller with the pump. Worked great at first but it became clogged up and tere was only a trickle coming out of the wort plate. I ended up having to chill the beer the old way.

Just wondering, does anyone use a bazooka tube on their boil kettle to filter out anything that would clog the plate chiller? Or is there any other method that I can use to make sure it wont clog. I am recirculating and the wort is pretty clear.

:drunk:

Thanks guys.

I use my hop spider to keep [most of] the hop matter out of the wort for when I send it through my plate chiller. If you're not somehow filtering, or whirlpooling first, you might want to rethink that tactic. IMO, a bazooka tube/screen can also get seriously clogged up, or let hop matter through to the chiller. A hop spider will contain the vast majority of the hop matter so you don't need to worry about it.

What size plate chiller are you using?? Make/model?

I also recirculate my wort from a boil for about 5 minutes (last time, got it to ~70F that way) before shifting the out hose to the fermenter. Got about 6.5 gallons of wort to 54F in about ten minutes that way. No clogging of the lines or chiller either... There was some hot break left in the bottom of the kettle, but with how little I leave behind in the Blichmann I don't think it matters any. Basically, I let it go until it cannot get any more out of the kettle. That's with getting what's in the hop spider bag too (I extract the wort from it).

BTW, I made my spider from stainless steel parts (all except the bag). Works great and I don't have any concern about temperatures impacting it in a negative way (cannot say the same for PVC, since it starts to fail at 180F). I'm using a 6" ID ring to hold the bag currently.

Bazooka works fine with leaf hops, not so good with pellets. I use paint strainer or similar bags.

Thanks guys I'm looking into the hop spider. Great Idea. I would like to go stainless as well. What was the cost of your hop spider GoldDiggie?

btw I'm using the Shirron wort plate chiller, ended up going with that one after reading the reviews.

I got a therminator and used the Blichmann hop blocker with it at first and it would still get really slow with any beer that was mildly hopped. I tossed the hop blocker and just use hop bags now it all is well. So I really need to get off my ass and build a spider.

I use the Shirron plate chiller and had similar clog issues before I built my spider. Mine is made with metal ducting you can find at lowes or home depot, three 6" bolts, six nuts, and a pinch clamp to hold a paint strainer bag on the end. I have used a hop bag in the past and it didn't work nearly as well as a paint strainer bag that had smaller holes (and was cheaper). I use pellets and have very minimal hop material make it into the chiller. When I flush it with my cleaning solution before each brew there is no hop material coming out, with flushing it after each brew.

Thanks guys I'm looking into the hop spider. Great Idea. I would like to go stainless as well. What was the cost of your hop spider GoldDiggie?

btw I'm using the Shirron wort plate chiller, ended up going with that one after reading the reviews.

I made one for my brew buddy (6"x2" ring) that i think cost maybe $20 in parts. If you get the ring right, it will be pretty cheap. If you want more details, PM me.

Just thought I would add that my first hop spider was made with PVC, straight out of BYO magazine. The heat and steam coming out of my keggle warped the PVC ring and the hop bag slid right off into the boil. Yet another RDWHAHB moment...

Just thought I would add that my first hop spider was made with PVC, straight out of BYO magazine. The heat and steam coming out of my keggle warped the PVC ring and the hop bag slid right off into the boil. Yet another RDWHAHB moment...

Not an issue if you make it from stainless steel... :D :rockin:

Back