Clipper City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or had Clipper City Beer out of Baltimore, Md? I had their BALTOMARZHON last night and I thought it was pretty good. I was just wondering what other peoples opinion is about them.

Only have had Loose Canon as well. Very good beer...

Plan to get to Clipper City at some point... It's only about 1.5 hours from here and I usually go to Inner Harbor at least once or twice a summer. Only made it once this summer and I was running late for an O's game, so didn't get to visit the CC Brewpub or whatever its called.

We've been getting the Clipper City Heavy Seas Sampler 12-pack locally for a while, mostly in the specialty beer shops though. They have some great beers, especially the Loose Cannon Hop^3 Ale and Red Skies at Night Saison. I also found their Small Craft Warning Uber Pils at a local draft house.

Love the fact that their beers are all high gravity!

I've had Loose Cannon and one other that I really can't recall standing out...perhaps the small craft warning. Decent stuff but didn't really motivate me beyond the two that I have had.

What type is the Loose Cannon? I might need to try it.

Silkky--- you an o's fan? or were you going for the other team? I am huge baltimore fan (both ravens and the o's)

Clipper City rocks...the Heavy Seas beers are all higher gravity, but the BaltiMarzHon, Gold, McHenry, and Oxford Rasberry are all still good. The Heavy Seas are of course on another level. Clipper City Gold was my preferred session beer for a while a few years ago.

I prefer heavily hopped beer, so I love their uber-pils and Loose Cannon (which I would call an IPA). I had the Below Decks barleywine out of a firkin a few months ago during American Craft Brew week. I haven't had the Hang Ten Weizen Doppelbock (!) yet.

I think the Loose Cannon is an awesome beer - great flavor, balanced with some sweetness, tons of hop flavor, and a really nice hop aroma. Anyone have any details? This one would be great to clone!

My wife and I bought a case of the Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout. It's a killer, complex beer. The Loose Cannon and UberPils are also great.

elkdog said:
My wife and I bought a case of the Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout. It's a killer, complex beer. The Loose Cannon and UberPils are also great.

I just picked up some Peg Leg yesterday. Very interesting...I thought it tasted more like a porter than a stout but I dug it either way.

The Loose Cannon could be my favorite IPA. Sad that I can't get it anymore now that I am in Denver. Odell IPA is really good, Stone IPA is good, but honestly, give me the Loose Cannon over either of these any day.

Loose cannon is one of my favorite IPA's. Their Uber Pils rocks, in fact all the High Seas stuff is great. Finally a good value for $10/6 pack

So I bought a mix pack of the Heavy Seas today. I heard the interview with the owner of Clipper City on the Brewing Network last week and thought I would give this a try. Pretty damn good beer.

The pack I got was old, it had the July seasonal in it, but still very good.

Red Sky at Night (Saison) is great, the Below Decks barleywine will kick your ass, and the Oxford Raspberry is really tasty. My boyfriend loves Loose Cannon (super hoppy). I think the brewery does tours twice a month - it's like 5 bucks for the tour, souvenir glass, and 6 beer tastings. The next one is December 8th. http://www.clippercitybeer.com/home/tours.htm

Ive had the Loose Cannon, Uber Pils, and the Peg Leg. The Loose Cannon, is amazing, it does a really good job of hiding the alcohol content. Which is sometimes bad, cause it taste so good but then it hits you and you realize youve only had 4 but your kinda tipsy. I had the Uber Pils once but i dont remember much about it. I thought the Peg Leg was great. Again great flavor for such a high alcohol content. Nice coffee taste at the end. Very good beer.

Back