Cleaning your bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
How does everyone clean there bags? Do you simply spay it off then soak it in a sanitizer?

Rinse it, hang it to dry, then shake off all the grain particles. Grain is not sterile, don't know why you would sanitize before the boil. Unless you're talking a dry hop bag or something?

I have some brew day items that I wash in a very small load with oxy only so the grain bag and hop bag go in there .. it's an extra small load

Rinse it, hang it to dry, then shake off all the grain particles. Grain is not sterile, don't know why you would sanitize before the boil. Unless you're talking a dry hop bag or something?

I do the same. Unless you have very hard water, you're not likely to get any buildup on it that needs some kind of washing aid. Only time I sanitize a bag is if I'm dry hopping.

Brew on :mug:

I dump grain out, turn bag inside out and then rinse off

I then wash it in the machine and dry hang it. I noticed washing it takes the discoloration out. Maybe thats just for show only but I like to think it would prevent any future off flavors. Negative of putting it in washer is that it probably declines the bag's life span through the rigors of a washing machine but I still do it.

I have an outdoor sink w/a ball valve instead of a normal valve. Give a high pressure spray. Just rinse it off till I don't see any grain and hang to dry in the sun.

I run the first 10 gal of hot water off my immersion chiller into my old HLT/Mash cooler, dump out the grain in the compost heap, and dunk the bag in the scalding hot chiller water to rinse it clean.

Then I hang it on the ladder until I brew next.

Back