Cleaning Shirron Plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentpirate

Reaction score
I have been reading about different ways of making sure the plate chiller is clean. The one item of interests suggests using a caustic acid such as drano. I am very concerned with introducing this to my chiller. Has anyone ever tried using hrydorgen peroxide? I also read where some people place there chillers in the oven; is this safe? Wouldn't the heat soften the welds?
I rinsed mine last night with hot plain water, soaking with cleaning solution and hot water, rinse and soak with PBW, and rinsed with hot water. I had some 'floaties' consisting of hop material but how can I be sure that it is debris free and clean? Any one have any suggestions?

I zapped my chiller in the oven on the clean cycle, 800-900F. It changed the color of the metal and created a small amount of ash from the leftover organic matter. The chillers are designed to handle higher heat than 900F. If I am sure that no hops got into the chiller then I only do an Oxyclean recirculation followed by some sanitizer. I have also used Beer Line cleaner to help clean out the chiller, followed by a water rinse. If you have hops inside the plates then the oven is really the best method to get them out.

I use some form of hop bag now to keep leaf hops out so I don't have to work so hard cleaning the chiller.

Where do you get the acid#5? I looked online and it's tricky to find. It seems like this would be the best option for cleaning after every few brews. The oven technique is likely to cause issues, because the chillers are only "rated" to ~450F. Of course, the melting point of copper is ~2000F....but I still think sticking the chiller in an oven on the cleaning cycle at 900F could cause problems. Maybe they just rate the chiller to 450F for warrantee purposes?

Fox Equipment. Can also have it ordered through my LHBS but it gets much more spendy that way. A little does go a long way depending on your frequency of brewing.

Back