Cleaning lingering flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdahl10

Reaction score
I made a delicious peach cider, but the flavor is very strong and now my fermentation bucket just smells like peach cider. It's a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket from the Northern Brewer kit.

I guess my first question is if the flavor will be converted into my next brew? (Thinking of a Porter by the way)

Does anyone have a good way to clean out the flavor? Right now I am thinking I'll just soak it in a ton of isopropyl alcohol, but that's a lot of isopropyl alcohol and I don't even know if it would work. It may just make the bucket smell like isopropyl alcohol...

Thank you and may all your brews be sanitized,
Julian

Maybe leave it out in the hot sun to let some of those molecules off-gas from the polymer? Or try a solution of baking soda in hot water?

ooooo... thats a tough call. Peachy Porter... hmm.. might be good. Glass does not hold any "scents" maybe keep the bucket for cider and get either another bucket for beer only or glass carboy.

Or maybe bucketnative's idea would work.. try that or use Oxy-clean Free...

Thanks! I'll try those suggestions. Sounds like I should get a dedicated cider bucket (I guess I have one already!) I've got a Carboy, but bottling with it is always a disaster. Am I being dumb or is that just always a problem?

Thanks! I'll try those suggestions. Sounds like I should get a dedicated cider bucket (I guess I have one already!) I've got a Carboy, but bottling with it is always a disaster. Am I being dumb or is that just always a problem?

Get a bottling bucket with a spigot, and a spring-loaded bottling wand. Much easier.

Unfortunately that is exactly the setup that has a lingering flavor of peach. Guess I'll get another

Maybe leave it out in the hot sun to let some of those molecules off-gas from the polymer?
A few hours in the sun is amazing. Took tomato stains and salsa smell out of a rubbermaid container. Also removed spoiled milk smell from a shaker bottle and dill from a container tha once held tzatziki sauce. I tried boiling, oxiclean, baking soda, vinegar, nothing worked. Left all out in the sun on a hot California summer afternoon. Came back 3-4 hrs later and done. Probably takes less time, but thats how long i was gone.

Back