Cleaning Keg Rubber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpetrello

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've recently purchased a corny keg online and want to clean up the exterior really nice :). Unfortunately, most of the advice I've found so far relates to cleaning the *inside* of the keg.

I've been able to get the stainless relatively clean w/ a mix of Goo Gone and elbow grease, but am unsure how I should go about cleaning the black "gook" from the rubber top/bottom. I know it probably doesn't matter much, but it looks gross and unappealing to me (for something I'll be serving beer from).

I've tried scrubbing with soap and water and a short Oxyclean soak - so far, no luck. No residue comes off, and it appears to be pretty deeply stained in the rubber.

Any insight on a safe, easy way to make my keg rubber look nice and sparkly red again?

IMG_20120228_125210.jpg

IMG_20120228_231154.jpg

Considered that - just looking for any prior experience (to be sure whatever I use won't damage the keg).

You could try the stuff they use to clean the gunk/brake dust off tires, but do NOT try brake parts cleaner, that stuff is nasty. Way too strong and it will damage the rubber.

I've never been successful in getting the colored rubber clean, I've tried a lot of solvents and cleaning products, learn to love your beat up and ugly keg :)

I had a corny that I spray painted the rubber flat black it looked brand new.

Maybe try some fine sand paper and wet sand to remove the top stained surface of the rubber.

Back