Cleaning freebie carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfieBrew

Reaction score
I was handed a free 5 g glass Carboy. The man used it to seperate water from diesel fuel. Any suggestions on how to clean and sanitize or is it unsafe?

I would rinse it out several times with just soap and water to get any gunk out of it.
Then I would give it a good soak for a couple of days in oxiclean.
after that for my own paranoia I would do the oxiclean again.
then run some sanitizer through it.

In this case glass is better than plastic.

Look at all these GA brewers, two from kennesaw, and now me.

i agreed with shackled, oxiclean and sanitizer. In this case, i might even employ some diluted bleach and then after you rinse it well, let it sit in the sun a few days prior to sanitation.

I would definitely do a bleach soak for a couple of days after everything else that was mentioned.

I used water based Krud-Kutter to break down the petroleum based goo and it cleaned up spottless but I wanted to put it in the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle in hopes that the steam will get any microscopic particles that I might have missed. Will the heat be fine If I warm it first and then let it cool down slow?

Back