Cleaning everything after long idle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goolsbymd

Reaction score
just got back from an 8 month deployment and currently have broken down all my corny kegs, taps, shanks and removed all the o-rings for replacement, and boiled all the SS pieces. Should I soak them all in a bar keepers solution and then rinse clean or just scrub them with the bar keepers? Also I am replacing all my beer serving lines as they are pretty nasty.

First off, thank you for your service. My brother is USN as well and I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves our country. Go Navy!

As for the beer stuff. I would give them a good soak in PBW or similar and then a good soak with starsan, replace those lines (as you mentioned), fill with beer, and enjoy

First off, thank you for your service. My brother is USN as well and I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves our country. Go Navy!

As for the beer stuff. I would give them a good soak in PBW or similar and then a good soak with starsan, replace those lines (as you mentioned), fill with beer, and enjoy

Agree with everything said here w/ this exception: Go Navy! Let me FTFY: Go Army! Beat Navy!

Cheers, MM1,

I agree with kev, a soak in hot water and PBW should have all your SS cleaned up nicely, replace your lines and seals, hit everything with some starsan and you should be good to go.

-Frank
US Army, Retired

just got back from an 8 month deployment and currently have broken down all my corny kegs, taps, shanks and removed all the o-rings for replacement, and boiled all the SS pieces. Should I soak them all in a bar keepers solution and then rinse clean or just scrub them with the bar keepers? Also I am replacing all my beer serving lines as they are pretty nasty.

Welcome home! If you're ever in the Corpus Christi area look me up.

I just got back myself last November from my 6th WESPAC. Some of my kegs were bad! They had beer in them when I left...which someone drank when I was gone...and didn't clean them out...I won't say who. So, had to do a long hot PBW soak, followed by some scrubbing with barkeepers friend, followed by a long Starsan soak.

Thanks man. I did most of my deployments on the West coast, this was my first East coast deployment. West coast was much better. I had a hefeweizen that had some left of yeast and a little bit of beer left in. Looks like I'll soak it all in some PBW as soon as I pick it up. They are soaking in oxyclean now.

Watch the oxyclean. I've read here it can turn stainless black. Not sure if it's oxidation thing or a something else. I would not soak it to long.

Back