Cleaning Brand new keg, should I use PBW or bar keepers friend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
Hello,

1) I will be cleaning my brand new 1.5 gallon torpedo keg, should I use PBW or bar keepers friend?

2) I will be cleaning my brand new stainless steel intertap faucet, should I use PBW or bar keepers friend?

3) After cleaning the intertap faucet, should I use some keg lube on the p-ring in the faucet?

4) After cleaning intertap faucet should I soak the pieces in starsan for a bit?

Thanks

Since its new, and presumably not very dirty, I don't see what difference it makes what you use to get it cleaned up. Why not just use regular dish detergent? All you need to do is get any residue from the manufacturing process out. I'll use PBW if there is some kind of dried or caked on material that won't come off with a simple wipe or scrub with a brush.

PBW would be a good choice to clean manufacturing residues quickly. In the case of new equipment more is not better. An excessive amount of PBW or a long soaking time may leave a hard to rinse residue. Rinse all of your parts separately to remove all traces of the cleaner.

Keg lube on o-rings is good. Long Star San soaks for the faucets is not good. Star San solution can darken the protective coatings on some of the metal parts.

Back