Clarity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
My beer is a festabrew weat which I added t-58 yeast and 16oz golden candy syrup.

Initial density was 1050

after 12 days in fermenter, still looks cloudy but a lot less activity, no more bubbles in the airlock. Nice yeast cake at the bottom. Fermentation temp was 17.5C

Time to bottle?

Lack of airlock bubbles is not always an indicator that fermentation is done. Take a gravity reading today, then another in a day or two, then a third a day or two after that. If the readings are the same, it's ready for bottling.

Agree with MaxStout.

The only way to know if it's done is to check the gravity to ensure it isn't still creeping down. You don't want bottle bombs. When I keg I tend to do so when I've reached my estimated final gravity instead of ensuring it is stable. But kegging allows this as it essentially acts as a secondary or brite tank, and can be pressure relieved so as to not allow over carbonation. With bottles there's no way to do this, and you could end up with explosive results.

Agree with MaxStout.

The only way to know if it's done is to check the gravity to ensure it isn't still creeping down. You don't want bottle bombs. When I keg I tend to do so when I've reached my estimated final gravity instead of ensuring it is stable. But kegging allows this as it essentially acts as a secondary or brite tank, and can be pressure relieved so as to not allow over carbonation. With bottles there's no way to do this, and you could end up with explosive results.

Great, it's why some of my last beers were never ending bubbling after opening the bottel... I use hacker pschorr swing top bottles. so maybe the can tolerate more pressure than regular capped bottles.

I'll get back to you with Gravity results

thanks,

MA

Back